EXAM REFERENCES - AM PORTION

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rmoutray

Reaction score
It is still unclear to me which references I need to buy being that I am taking the GEOTECH PM. I have the usual suspects, CERM, IBC, AISC, ACI 318, but what about the codes/manuals for other CE subjects for the AM portion of the exam? Here is a list of what I've come across so far:

ANSI/AF&PA NDS-2005 National Design Specification for Wood Construction

Building Code Requirements for Masonry Structures (ACI 530-05)

AASHTO LRFD Bride Design Specifications

Highway Capacity Manual

AASHTO Guide for Design of Pavement Structures

and whatever else I don't have listed.

Please help!

It is still unclear to me which references I need to buy being that I am taking the GEOTECH PM. I have the usual suspects, CERM, IBC, AISC, ACI 318, but what about the codes/manuals for other CE subjects for the AM portion of the exam? Here is a list of what I've come across so far:

Highway Capacity Manual

Please help!
Unless you're doing the structural or transportation PM exam, you won't need any of the manuals you listed for the breadth. You won't be asked for any detailed design questions like you would find on the SE exams. For geotech PM, I'm certain that most of the questions will entail subsurface exploration and samplilng, engineering properties of soils, soil mechanics analysis, shallow and deep foundations, and seismic engineering.

I would advise purchasing the 6-minute solutions for geotech to get an idea of the questions you may be asked on the exam.

Good luck!

I agree. None of those manuals are needed for the AM portion. I had the CERM and a textbook for transportation, structural, fluid mechanics and geotech.

Highway Capacity Manual

Please help!
Unless you're doing the structural or transportation PM exam, you won't need any of the manuals you listed for the breadth. You won't be asked for any detailed design questions like you would find on the SE exams. For geotech PM, I'm certain that most of the questions will entail subsurface exploration and samplilng, engineering properties of soils, soil mechanics analysis, shallow and deep foundations, and seismic engineering.

I would advise purchasing the 6-minute solutions for geotech to get an idea of the questions you may be asked on the exam.

Good luck!
THIS IS GREAT NEWS - THANKS! Already got the 6-min solutions

I agree. None of those manuals are needed for the AM portion. I had the CERM and a textbook for transportation, structural, fluid mechanics and geotech.
Thanks - Which Textbooks did you choose?

For the geotech afternoon I would suggest the Cerm and practice problems, Six minute solutions, Priciples of Foundation Engineering by Das. You should have a basic geotechncal or soil mechanics book. A highway engineering book may help with some possibel questions about heave, frost action, asphalt or pavement questions.

I would work most of the CERM geotech problems. I try to solve the Six Minute Solutions problems using the CERM. The ones with answers not in the CERM or the CERM is vague about can usually be answered by Das' book. I would definitely look at Das examples for subjects list in the NCEES Geotech outline. Read both the the CERM and Das. I didn't read and review enough the first time.

Good luck

Back