Enviro Question

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

owillis28

Reaction score
I am posting a question for a NCEES Environmental question # 504. For some reason I can't post to the environmental section.

When the calculate the specific gravity of the primary sludge, where to the 1.32 and 1.0 come from? I understand where the 4 and 96 in the denominator (actually they are the numerators in the denominator, if that makes any sense?

Could someone point me in the right direction? I did find some information in the CERM manual on page 30-12 (Quantities of Sludge), but it seems to be dealing with fixed solids content and volatile solids content.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

owillis

I don't recall the CERM having a table for this, but from Metcalf & Eddy TABLE 12-7 entitled, "Typical data for the physical characteristics and quantities of sludge produced from various wastewater treatment operations and processes," provides the following:

Treatment operation/process, specific gravity of sludge solids, specific gravity of sludge, dry solids (lb/103 gal) per range and typical.

So, primary sedimenation has Gs = 1.4 and activated sludge Gs = 1.25

The way I see it, the author took the average value between the two processes.

JR

Same problem, different question

1. What is the equation the author used to find the volume of the primary sludge?

2. In my solution, I ended up with 6.1 MGD. I do not understand the units that were used in coming up with their answer.

8.34 (lbm*L)/(mg*MG)

-OR-

8.34 lbm(of water)/gal(of water) - Can you use this conversion since we are dealing with sludge? Maybe the product of all the numbers in the denominator allows us to use this conversion.

-OR-

Maybe I am way off!

Ahhhh

owillis

I got out of an environmental class yesterday and have the following comments.

1) Instructor just gave us the SG of sludge = 1.03

2) You are dealing with biosolids which (as can seen from above) are almost = water, thus 8.34lbm/gal should work.

I still don't understand how to convert all these units though.

Anyone got this one figured out?

Thanks,

Cheese

Whenever I saw a problem that required a specific gravity or density for activated sludge, I just assumed it was the same as water. Most unthickened sludge is just a couple percent solids anyway.

When all else fails on a problem and you don't know the equation, start looking at what you're given and the units they're in. If you know what units you need, you can generally figure out a way to get there using what you got and canceling out terms.

Back