Engineers to Excommunicate

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Road Guy

Reaction score
I received this email from my kids new math teacher:

I'm writing this e-mail to introduce myself. My name is blankey blank and I'm the new math teacher for th. I'm currently in my fifth of my teaching career. I've been fortunate enough to complete a practicum assignment, my student teaching, and my first four and a quarter years at XXXXXXas a part of the sixth grade math team. I earned a Bachelor's of Science in Electrical Engineering at CU and went on to work at a large scale semiconductor manufacturer. After a few years, I made the switch to education. I recently completed my Master's degree in Educational Equity and Cultural Diversity this summer. I'm a huge advocate for the continued development and use of native language and I regularly encourage students to practice those skills. I'm quite excited to make the transition to eighth grade math and look forward to a successful remainder of the year. If you have anyquestions.. blah blah blah Thanks for your time.

I know engineering isn't for everyone, but what is up with that masters degree? I told my daughter to tell him that her dad was a real engineer if he needed any help with 8th grade math!

I am sure you all know others!!!

Usually a fluff degree in an education-based field which becomes a prerequisite for someone looking to move into a principal or education administration role. A friend of mine had to do something similar before being made Dean of a school.

I agree that this guy's MS will definitely boost a career in the educational system, "Master's degree in Educational Equity and Cultural Diversity" those are the "industry" buzzwords for the liberal, democratic, school system. He's going to go places!

I can at least pull the "my parents are both retired teachers" card.. much like a jew card, it never goes out of style....

Thankfully we are not doing the common core BS..

I like the whole thing about telling that Dad is a real engineer.

If a few years, I might have to try that myself!

I'm a huge advocate for the continued development and use of native language and I regularly encourage students to practice those skills.

I thought our native language was English, or is he talking about Native Americans?

(sorry, this irked me, I have no issues with bilingual households and think it's AWESOME that kids can grow up that way and switch back and forth, but my sister is an ESL teacher and a lot of the first generation kids do struggle no matter how smart they are because of communication barriers)

our Middle School has more Asians than any other non white race. maybe he will teach math in Chinese?

& in case anyone who doesn't now me - I consider it a huge credit to my school that we have a large Asian population! - Didn't want the PC police to think I was being derogatory!

So, someone who can't cut it in engineering is now teaching math? I am not sure that is a good move. Then to hide the fact he can't teach math, he is encouraging kids to speak in other languages?

I can at least pull the "my parents are both retired teachers" card.. much like a jew card, it never goes out of style....

Thankfully we are not doing the common core BS..
...yet.

I think its only really being done in elementary school. we haven't seen it in MS or HS...?? I could be wrong though..

I have no problem with anyone dropping out of engineering because they can't hack it. Lots of people fail. No shame in that. (cough)

I do have a problem with the subject of the MS. Number one, how in the fudge is that a "science" degree???? Number two - Road Guy already blasted it enough for the unnecessariness of it all.

And please - you are there to teach kids how to do math and how to be a success in the world. Speaking a native language has little to do with that, and it is certainly not the math teacher's job to worry about that. I have a multicultural family and live in a multicultural place that has 3 official languages, but I have made it very clear to my kids that their success in the world (as it is right now, anyway) rides on their ability to communicate expertly in the English language. They can speak their native tongues at family events and with grandma and grandpa, but at school it's English, and it better be correct.

:eek:ldman:

I am sure that when/if we ever move back to Colorado, we will get teachers like that who will probably convince my kids that I have grievously wronged them...

our Middle School has more Asians than any other non white race. maybe he will teach math in Chinese?
It'd be good prep for college. All of my math teachers in engineering school were individuals that learned engrish as a second language.

main notable Greek variables: arfa piseye ramda...

(some students went on to use these pronunciations in future engineering courses. it was hilarious.) :)

All I heard was that he has thousands upon thousands of dollars in student debt and now he's working as a teacher. I bet he has a "like" on facebook for "Let's forgive all student loan debt!"

All I heard was that he has thousands upon thousands of dollars in student debt and now he's working as a teacher. I bet he has a "like" on facebook for "Let's forgive all student loan debt!"

if it's a public school I think he get's it forgiven if he remains there a specific amount of time, aren't they considered county employees or no?

It'd be good prep for college. All of my math teachers in engineering school were individuals that learned engrish as a second language.

main notable Greek variables: arfa piseye ramda...

(some students went on to use these pronunciations in future engineering courses. it was hilarious.) :)
In Reinforced Concrete Design class, I learned that fry ash was used to increase the durability of concrete.

Back