Engineering society's

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ship Wreck PE

Reaction score
My company said that they would pay for me to join an engineering Society and go to annual event as long as it wasn't in Hawaii. Does anybody have any suggestions??

That's a pretty nice thing to do for employees. Just join whatever the premier society is for your field. Don't worry about where the conference is this year. Eventually it will be in Hawaii! Work yourself into some committee, so that you "have to attend."

As a fellow EE, I'd go with either IEEE or NSPE. For NSPE, I think the big question is if you have an active local chapter and/or state organization. I'm very active in our local chapter of NSPE and I find it beneficial with networking and exposure to other disciplines.

On the other hand, IEEE is huge and has a lot of resources.

As a fellow EE, I'd go with either IEEE or NSPE. For NSPE, I think the big question is if you have an active local chapter and/or state organization. I'm very active in our local chapter of NSPE and I find it beneficial with networking and exposure to other disciplines.

On the other hand, IEEE is huge and has a lot of resources.
+1 for NSPE. I like being a part of their organization and the local WSPE.

I belong to ASCE, ASPE and SEAAK and they are all active locally. Having local activity is key as stated before.

Heck, was wishing that the ASCE Yearly meeting included more Structural as its going to be held at the Panama Canal this year. Doubt I could get the company to spring for that one anyway.

Back