Electrical construction experience for PE application

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcreit

Reaction score
I have been wondering if my experience as a journeyman electrician acceptable for a PE application. I would appreciate any feedback. I am planning to take the PE here in Florida. :dunno:

I have been wondering if my experience as a journeyman electrician acceptable for a PE application. I would appreciate any feedback. I am planning to take the PE here in Florida. :dunno:
I believe the requirements for taking this exam is your EIT (which you probably already have) and 2 years of verifiable engineering experience. I know it does differ from state to state. I live in California so I would check your state board to make sure.

As an electrician, you'd need to go heavy on the load calcs, transformers, generator, motors, switchgear etc.

Any high voltage distribution would help. You'll probably need to show lots of calcs and design checking and field re-engineering. The NEC experience will help you qualify and the exam questions will be gimmes for you.

Good luck!

I believe the requirements for taking this exam is your EIT (which you probably already have) and 2 years of verifiable engineering experience. I know it does differ from state to state. I live in California so I would check your state board to make sure.
Thanks, I have talked with them and I'll give it a shot.

As an electrician, you'd need to go heavy on the load calcs, transformers, generator, motors, switchgear etc.
Any high voltage distribution would help. You'll probably need to show lots of calcs and design checking and field re-engineering. The NEC experience will help you qualify and the exam questions will be gimmes for you.

Good luck!
Thanks for your advice. I will send my application and see how it goes.

Latest posts

Back