Early Morning Construction

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slugger926

Reaction score
I had a late night last night with HW. Well, at 5 am this morning, the roofers started hammering on the house going up outside my back window. I understand they are trying to beat the rain here in the Oklahoma Rain Forest, but 5 AM!!!!!!!! :smileyballs:

I am a zombie today. I didn't have energy at 5 am to call the police to complain about the disturbance. The whole crew could probably be deported. :smileyballs:

Looking forward to sleep after work today. :party-smiley-048:

Most places have rules against starting before a certain time. Unless they have a variance, they could be fined!

Get'em!

^^^ That's very true. Unless of course, you are located in BFE and then nobody seems to care.

I feel for you slugger - sucks to go to work with an extreme sleep deficit. :(

JR

Most places have rules against starting before a certain time. Unless they have a variance, they could be fined!Get'em!
We are about 200 yards outside of Tulsa county and also the city limits, so we are up a creek on noise complaints. Although we can legally shoot fireworks on the 4th of July, and if I really wanted, I could hunt ducks and geese from my roof. I actually have a pond for a back yard now thanks to NE Oklahoma becoming the Oklahoma Rainforest.

A funny thing about noise I found out when I was working on remediation issues as it pertains to outdoor shooting ranges. In Florida, the citizens have a CONSTITUTIONAL right to be free of 'unnecessary noise' as provided in the Constitution of the State of Florida:

SECTION 7. Natural resources and scenic beauty.--

(a) It shall be the policy of the state to conserve and protect its natural resources and scenic beauty. Adequate provision shall be made by law for the abatement of air and water pollution and of excessive and unnecessary noise and for the conservation and protection of natural resources.

Maybe you can check your state's constitution to find that your rights have been violated !!!! :eek:ldman:

JR

Last edited:
A funny thing about noise I found out when I was working on remediation issues as it pertains to outdoor shooting ranges. In Florida, the citizens have a CONSTITUTIONAL right to be free of 'unnecessary noise' as provided in the Constitution of the State of Florida:
SECTION 7. Natural resources and scenic beauty.--

(a) It shall be the policy of the state to conserve and protect its natural resources and scenic beauty. Adequate provision shall be made by law for the abatement of air and water pollution and of excessive and unnecessary noise and for the conservation and protection of natural resources.

Maybe you can check your state's constitution to find that your rights have been violated !!!! :eek:ldman:

JR

I forgot, I could probably easily stop the construction. I am willing to bet that the foundation has not been engineering specifically for that site by a PE. Oklahoma is starting to ramp up enforcement of engineering laws.

I got this email on Friday:

-----------------------------------------------

PUBLIC MEETING NOTICE

STATE BOARD OF LICENSURE FOR PROFESSIONAL ENGINEERS AND LAND SURVEYORS

The Board will be holding a Public Meeting regarding the problem with some residential foundation systems that do not meet the minimum requirements of local residential building codes. The meeting will be held on Friday, July 6, at 1:00 p.m. at the Oklahoma Engineering Center, 201 NE 27th St., Oklahoma City.

For reference, an article regarding this issue was published in the First Quarter 2007 newsletter, entitled "A Dilemma in Residential Foundations", which may be found on our website at http://www.pels.state.ok.us/admn/newsletter.html.

------------------------------------------------

if I really wanted, I could hunt ducks and geese from my roof. I actually have a pond for a back yard now thanks to NE Oklahoma becoming the Oklahoma Rainforest.
A shotgun can be a fairly good deterrent for unwanted noise! Just a few warning shots should do the trick!

the first thing I'd do is to go over to the roofers and give the superintendent a good solid WTF!!. No one in thier right mind starts hammering at 5:00AM in a residential neighborhood. Around here 7:00AM is the accepted minimum.

If this guy gives you a hard time call the police. Noise ordinances or not 5:00 AM is unreasonable to do that kind of work.

If you don't get any satifaction, I agree with the previous poster, carry your gun over the next time that you complain.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would check with your city / county code enforcement people, there has got to be something on the books.

then you can always harrass him for erosion control, permits, porta potty regualtions, shit on a construction site there has to be at least 50 things he could possibly get in trouble for.

tell OSHA you "think" you saw someone hanging from a roof without a harness or something.

if that doesnt work then I recommend going over there when its dark, crawl under his work truck, and unscrew the oil drain plug, make sure you put all the oil in a bucket and carry it away before he sees it so he can buy a new engine

Back