Dynamics kicked my a

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

k2keylargo

Reaction score
Any tips for Dynamics - especially rotational dynamics? I've just about decided if I come across any questions on rotational dynamics I'm probably just going to guess and go on... I'm an EE, graduated in 1978 (yep, you maybe were mamas little baby then, or even daddys little squirt). I was just blown away by this - and the $1300 worth of DVD's I bought from Dr. Blank barely mention the subject... :dunno:

Something that just popped into my head, and I'm not sure if others would agree:

As you may or may not know, when you take the FE you will get a "Supplied Reference Handbook" I think you still get to keep it; I have mine right here (Fifth Edition)

Anyhow, obviously you can't take it in but if you can get a hold of one I think the "scope" of the supplied reference is pretty close to what you will need to know.

In mine, there are 5 pages devoted to dynamics -providing the most basic formulas and theory. It seems like if you knew how to use them you're probably covered for what you'll find on the exam. I think this is probably true for most of the exam topics.

If you cant get a hold of it, let me know and I'll scan the section for you - but I think you can request one from NCEES.

Anybody else have thoughts on this?

ADDED:

Download it here:

http://www.ncees.org/exams/study_materials/fe_handbook/

Last edited by a moderator:
Good luck, k2. There are a few of us who are taking or recently passed exams as AARP member. It can be done. I left school in 1978, without finishing my degree. Is this your first attempt?

Something that just popped into my head, and I'm not sure if others would agree:
As you may or may not know, when you take the FE you will get a "Supplied Reference Handbook" I think you still get to keep it; I have mine right here (Fifth Edition)

Anyhow, obviously you can't take it in but if you can get a hold of one I think the "scope" of the supplied reference is pretty close to what you will need to know.

In mine, there are 5 pages devoted to dynamics -providing the most basic formulas and theory. It seems like if you knew how to use them you're probably covered for what you'll find on the exam. I think this is probably true for most of the exam topics.

If you cant get a hold of it, let me know and I'll scan the section for you - but I think you can request one from NCEES.

Anybody else have thoughts on this?

ADDED:

Download it here:

http://www.ncees.org/exams/study_materials/fe_handbook/
when i took it in 02, you could buy a copy to study with, but you had to use the one provided at the exam and you could not keep it.

You will be issued a brand-new NCEES FE Handbook in the exam room. When I took the exam, you weren't allowed to keep the FE Handbook, presumably because of security concerns. NCEES doesn't want you copying exam problems or answers into your Handbook and then leaving with it. You are not supposed to bring any paper into the exam room, and you are not supposed to take any paper out either.

So the FE Handbooks are used once, for 8 hours, and then discarded. The California Board used to stockpile their used FE Handbooks, and then send one to new FE applicants as a freebie. I got one that way; there were a few handwritten calculations in it that some previous user had made during some previous exam. Don't know if they still do this, or if other states do this as well.

All FE candidates are well advised to become familiar with the FE Handbook before the exam. You can order one from NCEES or the other board, or download it from the link above. Note that NCEES publishes a new edition every year or two, so you should make sure that you are working with the latest edition.

I definitely agree with the other posters here - get a copy of the FERM from the NCEES website and become familiar with the contents, especially as you are solving problems. It should be REASONABLY expected that any problem that you come across on the exam can be solved from the information in the FERM.

I just looked over the Dynamics chapter - looks like nine pages. I think that bodes well because it limits what you might encounter on the exam.

Out of curiousity, is there anything within the realm of rotational dynamics that is particularly problematic or puzzling? I wouldn't mind posting/solving some problems if you gave me an idea of what seemed to be at issue.

P.S. - I still have my Eng Dynamics book from college.

JR

k2keylargo, there is hope.

I passed the FE exam 33 1/2 years after graduating. The only resource I used to study was Professional Publications Inc.'s FE Review Manual. The information in there on dynamics was sufficient. The NCEES Supplied-Reference Handbook which you will have during the exam will have most of the info you will need.

If the only area you have trouble with is dynamics you should still be able to pass the test. The number of questions in any particular area is limited.

Thanks for all the replys, I got busy studying :p10940623: and didn't check back in. Marianette, this is my first (and only) attempt! If I don't pass, I think I'll go get a menial job on a dive boat or something - I don't think I want to study this again!

I do have a copy of the FE Reference Handbook from NCEES. However, I recently checked on the NCEES website and found that it was updated and a new version is available - just ordered it. I'm going to rely heavily on the handbook - I try to use it as my only reference when working problems. I have made many notes and hi lited formulas that I use - I plan to not make any marks in the new copy and use it to work problems before the test.

As for rotational dynamics - JR, I appreciate the offer. I'll check back thru my notes and see if I can get some questions. What I have the biggest problem is just grasping the concepts well enough to figure out how to set up the problems. I never had a dynamics class -BSEE - so I am learning stuff for the first time, with only review materials, as I don't have time to get a dynamics textbook and work thru stuff.

I am also signing up to take the PE in October - I checked with the Florida PE board and they said that I can get signed up even without passing the FE - just have to pass before they'll let me take it.

... this is my first (and only) attempt! If I don't pass, I think I'll go get a menial job on a dive boat or something - I don't think I want to study this again!
Well, you have the right approach. [SIZE=14pt] STUDY!!! [/SIZE]Good luck.

Question:

Don't most state boards waive the FE exam if you have more than 13-15 years experience? Or are they very picky about people's experience before waiving the FE exam...

That being said, I think the FERM is the best tool to use for the exam...

For dynamics I used my university text book by Beer and Johnston

http://www.amazon.com/Vector-Mechanics-Eng...d/dp/0072930799

It has good examples to work from.

And I have always liked the examples that are provided in Hibbeler's text book

http://www.amazon.com/Engineering-Mechanic...6346&sr=8-1

Check out your library or the college library. They should have at least one of these books as I think they are pretty standard.

I just looked at every problem as being an Algebra problem, and used the formula book to find the correct formula to solve the problem.

Also look out for those problems that you know how to do, but will take 3 plus hours to get right. Look for the correct units on those problems and guess.

Good luck.

I skipped that section. I wasn't going to learn anything new for that test- I just studied everything I had ever seen even once really well. I thought the test was easy. But if I had no idea, I didn't bother, and that included preparation. There are plenty of topics and you won't finish anyway- you can skip some.

Question:
Don't most state boards waive the FE exam if you have more than 13-15 years experience?
I haven't heard of any. I know my state does not. I have heard of them waiving the FE if you have a BS, MS and PhD in engineering.

I haven't heard of any. I know my state does not. I have heard of them waiving the FE if you have a BS, MS and PhD in engineering.
Washington lets you waive the exam. From their application form

"*You can apply to waive the EIT exam, if you have an ABET approved degree in engineering plus 12 years of verifiable experience after getting your degree."

I believe California has something similar.

"Q3. Who is exempt from the requirement to pass the EIT/FE exam as a prerequisite for the professional exam or comity?

c. Board Approved Engineering Degree (ABET)

1. A person holding a BS degree in engineering from an ABET accredited curriculum (See Question 1, part B) and has 15 or more years of qualifying work experience. Qualifying work experience is defined in Question 5, part b."

But as you point out, not every state allows you to waive the FE exam; whereas, I was thinking it was a common thing.

Washington lets you waive the exam. From their application form
"*You can apply to waive the EIT exam, if you have an ABET approved degree in engineering plus 12 years of verifiable experience after getting your degree."

I believe California has something similar.

"Q3. Who is exempt from the requirement to pass the EIT/FE exam as a prerequisite for the professional exam or comity?

c. Board Approved Engineering Degree (ABET)

1. A person holding a BS degree in engineering from an ABET accredited curriculum (See Question 1, part B) and has 15 or more years of qualifying work experience. Qualifying work experience is defined in Question 5, part b."

But as you point out, not every state allows you to waive the FE exam; whereas, I was thinking it was a common thing.
CT allowed it for candidates with an ABET accredited degree and a lot of experience. They got rid of the FE waiver a few years ago, though. Everyone has to take both tests now.

Give up it is too hard :joke: .....no just kidding...seriously I would take the general section in the morning and afternoon. Dynamics is hard but just try and ace the morning section and then you can coast on the afternoon....

Also buy some of the prep books by test masters for the AM & PM portion of the test and study the heck out of the practice exams....if you can complete all the practice exams you will pass no doubt about it!!!!!

Back