DWG and DGN Files

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FINK_RB_PE

Chief Engineer
Reaction score
I have data from VGIN for flown topography for the state of Virginia, I have the data in a DGN (Microstation file) and I want to bring it in to Land Desktop 2004. I can get data in but when I check the data the coords and elevations are at a factor of 100 times what they should be. Does any one have any experience in any way of bringing these files into a autocad environment?

My experience with bringing Microstation files into AutoCAD is that most of the lines and text will show up in the ACad drawing, but the lineweights, fonts, and dimensions will always be screwed up.

My experience with bringing Microstation files into AutoCAD is that most of the lines and text will show up in the ACad drawing, but the lineweights, fonts, and dimensions will always be screwed up.
yea pretty much. Converting the other way sucks too.

I've done the same with gov. topo maps and merging them into AutoCAD.

One thing to do is to ensure you have the correct fonts copied in your fonts folder and lineweights I always tried to fix them bylayer. Chances are you have the dumb layering system of 256 or whatever so good luck.

I also remember scaling per axis to correct whatever happens in between acad and microstation but this was in the R14 era and I don't know how to do it in more current versions.

PS. You might be able to import the .dgn as an underlay.

Insert->Dgn Underlay

Also check your units.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back