donating blood

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used to and then I learned that Red Cross sells its blood to hospitals who then charge the patient for it, and we all get nothing...

Kind of like you have a family member die as an organs donor, ever learn how many people get rich off selling and installing said organs?

They should kick a couple grand to the family of the donor..

Speak of the devil...the Hoxworth Bloodmobile was here at the VA today. Can't donate anyway due to my extended "vacation" in Afghanistan. I think I can once a certain amount of time has passed.

the one here is a regional blood bank no association with red cross. They supply the blood to most of the hospitals in central and southern IL

I used to and then I learned that Red Cross sells its blood to hospitals who then charge the patient for it, and we all get nothing...

Kind of like you have a family member die as an organs donor, ever learn how many people get rich off selling and installing said organs?

im just grumpy im sure the red cross is good peeps, but those damn hospitals are greedy MF'ers!

Many years ago, I remember my dad would sell his blood at local hospital for $20.00 a pint, and that was when gas was less than 50 cents a gallon. They would only allow him to sell one pint every two weeks.

I have to make sure they use my right arm, the vein works great there. On the left side they wiggle around and bruise it and it takes forever to fill the bag.

You can make pretty good buck selling plasma, but that doesn't seem in the spirit to me. although $400 a month ain't bad...

http://www.ehow.com/how_4776122_make-month-giving-plasma.html

Last edited by a moderator:
My Dad has AB- and they used to call him in the middle of the night to donate. He'd go. They told him his blood would be free if he ever needed it.

They lied.

Best friend was in the Navy and shore leave was contingent on him donating.

I know it's important, but I don't have glad tidings and all that associated with it.

Now that the kids are all old enough, we make it a family event. Our church holds a blood drive once a quarter, so all six of us donate, the girls do whole blood, the boys do double red blood cells. Then we head to a Saltgrass Steakhouse for some red meat. The key to a successful blood drive, comes later in the evening. A few glasses of good red wine helps replace the fluids in the body....

lost count, over 4 gallons. they come by 4 times a year. work gives 3 hours to give blood and then gives 3 hours comp time for each time you donate. Have been doing it for 18 years now. Funny you bring that up now, I just donated yesterday. First time I ever felt woozy afterwards, even passed out. You definately should eat breakfast that morning and do not cross your legs.

They won't take my blood. Spent to much time in the UK. :\

They won't take mine for a while due to my adventures in Vietnam and Cambodia rainforests.

What started out as a waiting period because of deployments to Honduras and the Far East turned into a lifetime ban until they come up with good tests for mad cow (bovine spongiform encephalopathy or BSE) now that I've spent more than five years in Italy.

No way. I'd be passed out on the floor. Just thinking about it gives me the heebe jeebies.

I'm in the same boat, im getting light headed just thinking about it, I should read this whole thread tomorrow and maybe I will pass out and have an excuse to go home sick

I used to give blood in HS and college. Then, when I was about 23, my iron wasn't high enough and hasn't been since. I'm tired of getting told how I need to adjust my diet so that I can give blood. I already eat meat and beans and all the other stuff on their list. I guess my blood isn't good enough anymore :) .

Instead, I convince my husband to go donate his Type A blood that they like so much.

No kidding?

I agree, there should be a kick back to the family. to at least help with funeral costs for Dang's sake.

Back