Does this meet the MUTCD?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Road Guy

Reaction score
I dont believe this meets the spirit of the MUTCD, Living off this road while its under-construction  has been fun and while i avoid the mess through alternate entrance points into our hood, the City solution to their failure to keep any left turns storage on a road with an ADT of around 16K  was to just "ban them" - lol

The cops have been writing hundreds of tickets  to boot. I don't think this sign meets the intent of the MUTCD in either height or visability - but the MUTCD is actually vague in this area - any thoughts here? (before I offer my Expert Testimony services to help my neighbors fight these unlawful tickets)

"When I was working for a local government" I couldn't install a regulatory sign that wasnt a part of the bid plans -  unless it was approved by the Board / Council approval.

IMG_1258.jpg

I think all it will take to be deemed legal is for some Karen on Next Door to pipe up and say how dangerous the intersection is with all the construction.

Thats my problem is that all of our local elected officials are basically "Karen"  sort of like "We are all Negan"

At this location the arrows are bagged so there are only green balls showing - other locations you can still turn left they bagged the arrow, but left the signal in operation so people just sort of wait and see if they can turn left or not based on whether the oncoming car accelerates from the stop position - 

Ive been running a night time guerrilla war campaign of opening the barrels that have a perfectly good right turn decel lane closed into our subdivision but even that effort doesn't keep the bastards from retrieving them from the improperly shored section of 48 IN pipe they have been working on since 2007..

Section 6F.03

Sign Placement Guidance:

01 Signs should be located on the right-hand side of the roadway unless otherwise provided in this Manual.

Option:

02 Where special emphasis is needed, signs may be placed on both the left-hand and right-hand sides of the roadway. Signs mounted on portable supports may be placed within the roadway itself. Signs may also be mounted on or above barricades.

Support:

03 The provisions of this Section regarding mounting height apply unless otherwise provided for a particular sign elsewhere in this Manual.

Standard:

04 The minimum height, measured vertically from the bottom of the sign to the elevation of the near edge of the pavement, of signs installed at the side of the road in rural areas shall be 5 feet (see Figure 6F-1).

05 The minimum height, measured vertically from the bottom of the sign to the top of the curb, or in the absence of curb, measured vertically from the bottom of the sign to the elevation of the near edge of the traveled way, of signs installed at the side of the road in business, commercial, or residential areas where parking or pedestrian movements are likely to occur, or where the view of the sign might be obstructed, shall be 7 feet (see Figure 6F-1).

06 The minimum height, measured vertically from the bottom of the sign to the sidewalk, of signs installed above sidewalks shall be 7 feet.

Option:

07 The height to the bottom of a secondary sign mounted below another sign may be 1 foot less than the height provided in Paragraphs 4 through 6.

on a construction project, the sign needs to be shown on a fully executed MHT to be enforceable

I guess I decided in light of the world falling apart I wouldn’t push this (unless I get a ticket for turning left here) which I only do at 4:55 am when I am going to the gym..

Latest posts

Back