Does engineers can efficiently work at home ?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kin-tsurugi

Reaction score
Hey guys I'm currently investigating how engineers perceive their outcomes by working at home.

Therefore as an engineer what outcomes do you expected by working from home? (more productive? satisfy? efficient?)

Is it a threat for your job ?

Do you prefer to telecommute?

Also I will really appreciate if some of our engineers in this forum could do my little survey

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1RX8jqDOctotJx5v2qY9AXu5L-QHZbr-W-3CX_D3zDz0/viewform

Thank you :happy:

It's pretty tough to do my job from home. Don't get me wrong, I practice at home a lot. But to do the real thing, I really have to get into other spaces.

The only thing that I hate about working from home...is that you are ALWAYS technically at work.....The good thing about my job is that I can leave work at work, and pick it up again when I get there. Just a thought....

My office has a VPN, so that in case of emergency (snow being the primary concern, this being Seattle) I can work from home rather than risking driving; we're also OK'd to use it for weekend work, since sometimes that involves quite a bit of driving for not much work (in my case, 45 minutes each way).

I hate the thing. My design style (which is mostly paperless) involves a lot of alt-tabbing and/or changing views, and the remote desktop connection just isn't optimized for that. CAD over the VPN is a virtual impossibility. It'd be different if I installed everything I needed on my home PC and used it to work on files on the network (which I've done using software I personally own); that's a simple network file connection, if a bit slow. Connecting to my work system, however, means that the screen must be sent back and forth continuously - and that is SLOW.

Cut me some slack, Jack! Chump don' want no help, chump don't GET da help!

I can speak Spanish fluently, as there are only two sentences I need to know:

Does cervesas, por favor.

Donde esta el bano?

derailed in four posts. nice.

because i run a lot of computer simulations, remote desktop is my friend.

We're expected to nut up and make into the office, snow or no snow.

I worked from home for a brief period of time and I learned two things:

1. I'm wicked efficient in working if no one is around to bother me.

2. I'm wicked easily distracted if I stop working for one second.

I got a lot done, which made going into the office an awful reality. No matter how much work you get done, you still have to be there for 8 hours.

Working from home was strictly a major snowstorm or plumber is working in the house kind of thing.

I got a lot done with no noise and distractions, no phone, not being pulled onto something else, etc.

I also got easily distracted by long lunches, TV, dogs shoving toys at me, etc.

1. I'm wicked efficient in working if no one is around to bother me.

2. I'm wicked easily distracted if I stop working for one second.

I've been working mostly from home since 2002.

I agree with both 1 and 2. First thing I learned was not to turn on the TV under any circumstances. No matter how mindless the show, it's preferable to working.

I work from home 1 day / wk (all we're allowed) - GIS over the VPN is PITA; you just learn to plan on jumping around on tasks or other applications while the GIS is refreshing or whatever. So in general, I really look forward to that one day of work at home, but come the next day, I kind of look forward to going back to the office, fwiw. Productivity really hasn't been an issue.

Back