Dirty Laundry

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What Kind of Laundry Detergent do you use?

• Tide

Votes: 6 19.4%
  • Gain

Votes: 4 12.9%
  • 7th Generation (or other natural product)

Votes: 1 3.2%
  • Cheer

Votes: 2 6.5%
  • ALL

Votes: 5 16.1%
  • Purex or Dreft

• Arm and Hammer

• Whatever is on sale/store brand

Votes: 4 12.9%
  • Not listed

• You mean I'm supposed to wash my clothes?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ask my spouse...

Votes: 8 25.8%

• Total voters
Tide makes me break out into welts. Little factoid for you...Surf is the same as Tide just in a different box.

When I was a kid my mom got called to the office at school (she taught in the same buiding) because they were concerned that I had welts all over and wanted to know what was going on. Fortunately this was in the day of "so what did he do to deserve that" rather than "call the police and we'll figure out what's going on later". Mom said it looked like when she tried using Tide but she was using Surf, not Tide. One of the teachers there told her that Tide and Surf were one in the same. Mystery solved.

We just switched to ALL Free and Clear. Mini-Buff has sensitive skin, and we have currently been trying to find the right dye and perfume free detergent that can clean the clothes well. So far, ALL is the winner.
minisnick has his own laundry soap since we have found that even the tide free stuff bugs his skin. We use the same stuff I used for the cloth diapers for his clothes....always have. For the life of me I can't think of the name, but a little bit goes a long way. When the current bottle is gone I was going to try tide again because it looks like they changed the formula.
we used Dreft for our kiddos for the first year or so then just switched them to whatever we're using now.

Tide makes me break out into welts. Little factoid for you...Surf is the same as Tide just in a different box.

When I was a kid my mom got called to the office at school (she taught in the same buiding) because they were concerned that I had welts all over and wanted to know what was going on. Fortunately this was in the day of "so what did he do to deserve that" rather than "call the police and we'll figure out what's going on later". Mom said it looked like when she tried using Tide but she was using Surf, not Tide. One of the teachers there told her that Tide and Surf were one in the same. Mystery solved.
So does that mean that I should change my response to "Tide". :D

Dreft is actually bad for anything you want to absorb liquids, diapers, towels, burp rags etc... makes things really soft but the residue it leaves prohibits proper absorption.

We just switched to ALL Free and Clear. Mini-Buff has sensitive skin, and we have currently been trying to find the right dye and perfume free detergent that can clean the clothes well. So far, ALL is the winner.
minisnick has his own laundry soap since we have found that even the tide free stuff bugs his skin. We use the same stuff I used for the cloth diapers for his clothes....always have. For the life of me I can't think of the name, but a little bit goes a long way. When the current bottle is gone I was going to try tide again because it looks like they changed the formula.
Have you guys looked into "Mrs. Meyers" or "Dr. Bronners" ? They sell it in my area, and are additive free albeit more expensive.

for those who answered ask my spouse...you do ever do the laundry?
My hubby does the laundry sometimes, but once I asked him to pick up some detergent and he got some strange kind that was in a bottle the exact same color as the Gain I use... I couldn't even use it because it wasn't HE... I laughed at that, it reminded me of the book "The Little Old Man Who Could Not Read"

Have you guys looked into "Mrs. Meyers" or "Dr. Bronners" ? They sell it in my area, and are additive free albeit more expensive.
And there's the rub. ALL is available at Costco.

I've been using ALL Free & Clear for a while. Too many companies use citrus products in their cleaning supplies.

I'll throw some in the washer when the wife is on her death bed, but other than that I stay out of the utility room.

I do the laundry, the dishes, the cleaning, the yard work, the cooking (sort of). . . ah, the life of a bachelor.

Even when my ex-fiancee lived here I did all the work. . .part of why she is now an ex!

I will run a load from time to time, but I usually end up forgetting about it in the washing machine and it ends up needing to be rewashed. So no, I really dont do anything when it comes to laundry.

The last time the wifey-wife allowed me to do the laundry, I put a fair amount of fancy-syntheticish-material, do-not-put-in-dryer, gentle clothes in the dryer. She wasn't happy.

Laundry for us is like every other chore. Whoever has time does it. About the only exception is that I do all the mowing. But everything else we split.

I voted "ask my wife", but now that I'm thinking about it, I think we use Dreft because we have an infant and one of the detergents was bothering his skin. My wife is super OCD about the laundry. She won't let me wash anything because she's afraid I'll shrink/discolor/ruin the clothes.

Back