determination of neutral axis for concrete shear wall

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OR-EIT

Reaction score
I have looked everywhere for an example of the strain compatibility analysis that is used to determine the neutral axis of a concrete shear wall that corresponds to the maximum axial load and corresponding nominal moment strength for comparison with the value of c that is given by ACI equation (21-8).

Is there anyone out there who could point me in the right direction? Every example that I have followed neglects this calculation and just sites the value that was obtained from the strain compatibility analysis, without showing the actual analysis. Ugh.

I have looked everywhere for an example of the strain compatibility analysis that is used to determine the neutral axis of a concrete shear wall that corresponds to the maximum axial load and corresponding nominal moment strength for comparison with the value of c that is given by ACI equation (21-8).Is there anyone out there who could point me in the right direction? Every example that I have followed neglects this calculation and just sites the value that was obtained from the strain compatibility analysis, without showing the actual analysis. Ugh.
Equation (21-8) is not used to calculate "C", It is used to check if the special boundary elements need to be reinforced or not.

Equation (21-8) is not used to calculate "C", It is used to check if the special boundary elements need to be reinforced or not.

I mean to know if you need special boundary elements or not.

Check out the SEOC Seismic Design Manual Vol III...

They present three different methods there. Look at their hand calc.

Back