Cut Score Meeting

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mudpuppy

Reaction score
I got an offer to be recommended to attend the cut score meeting for the EE exam this spring.  I know VTE attended one of these, but I thought there were a couple others on EB who have done this?  Anyone been to one and have any advice?  Not sure if I really want to take a day off to take the PE exam again just for fun.  Especially since it's been 11 years since I did it for real.

I'm keeping this in the Garage because I know there are some NCEES moles on EB and I don't want them to know I'm on here if I do end up going to this meeting.

I IP Banned most of the NCEES people, but they may have a back door through starbucks or something... ;)

@mudpuppy basically you're going to sit down and take the exam, rate the questions, discuss with the other panel members the question rating and through some black magic come up with the cut score.

You should get some PDHs out of it though plus it's fun hanging out with some fellow nerds.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sure it will be a breeze after 11 years....

</sarcasm>

e9d2682f46bac4e7b96c37fe40ac274fed14cf7b4d19643ebb9e97f2972853c6_1.gif

I'm sure it will be a breeze after 11 years....

</sarcasm>

e9d2682f46bac4e7b96c37fe40ac274fed14cf7b4d19643ebb9e97f2972853c6_1.gif
I'm heading down there Feb 15-17 for the mechanical committee meeting and this is my fear.  I haven't really looked at the material in a while so I'm praying I don't get selected for testing.  I got stuck taking the test the last time I was there even though that was my fourth year down...

Fingers crossed I'm writing questions/building exams.

Fairly certain @snickerd3 is one of the other ones, but she can only reply via emoji while at work. 
Yep.  I attended the cutscore meeting for the environmental FE before the first CBT was given.  We didn't have officially 8 hrs to do the test.  They stressed doing as much as we could but to make sure to at least look at all the problems, for the second day when we went through the test question by question.  Whatever algorithm they used to select problems from the question bank sucked.  the problems were fine in most cases, but the same concepts or a slight variation were coming up too often and giving a wide enough distribution for what the test was supposed to cover.  THat was one of the biggest things discussed.  Several of the people there that day were regulars with problem development and analysis, there were people from all walks of life academia, consultants, regulators, military, laboratories, long time PEs, semi longtime PEs and even a couple people that had just passed their PE the previous cycle.   

The 15 PDHs were nice, as was a paid trip to Altanta.  That;s half the amount needed for renewal.

If you can spare the time, I think it is an experience everyone should consider.  At least when I went it sheds light on the behind the scenes and get to understand why it was taking 8-10 weeks historically.  There's a lot of shit to do and this age of instant gratification doesn't get that.  

Back