Custom Steel Roof Truss Design

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ARLORD

Reaction score
I am designing a custom steel roof truss supporting bar joists. The span is about 70ft, I am using WT's for the chords, and double angles for the webs. I am doing this for the first time. I have found design criteria in the 2005 AISC 13ed, and in the design guide #7 for the design of the truss members, connections, etc. However, I have not seen anything on the out-of-plane bracing requirements. Does anyone know where to find or what design criteria I should use to specify the top and botton chord out-of-plane bracing. I assume the bar joists will be bracing the top chord, so it is more for the bottom chord, especially at the panel points.

Another question I just thought of, if I have to design for lateral loads, wind/seismic, would I just model the truss with the lateral and gravity loads and design the members and connections based on the member loads from the model results. Am I missing anything?

Back