Cross Country Trip

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SSmith

Reaction score
I'm taking a solo cross country trip on my bike---6,500 miles, 25 states, 17 days. (Route here if anyone is interested.)

The plan is to scoot across the I-40 as fast as possible. That's the longest stretch of road, and also the least interesting to me. After that I'm averaging 350mi/day. I hope to find interesting places that aren't too touristy to explore for a day then a 700mi trip the next day. Rinse repeat. Traveling extremely light--tent, bag, bed roll, 2 changes of clothes, and a Ziploc bag of necessaries. Everything else is staying home.

Current plan is to use a camp to hotel ratio as close to 2:1 as possible. Being outside is a big part of riding for me, but I also appreciate hot showers and clean laundry. smile.gif

I've installed a cigarette lighter to keep GPS and phone charge. And will mount a CamelBak on the front fork off of the triple tree tomorrow in case I break down in the west.

Has anyone else made one of these trips before? Any advice you can offer?

And I'm going to assume a helmet. Not being preachy about why you should wear one (although you should) but because they are required by law in some states. As someone who has done some decent 2-wheeled roadtrips myself, I would also recommend some earplugs.

Last edited by a moderator:
and a CAMERA!!! I'm a bit jealous about this. I would like to do this at some point, although I don't know if I'll ever get the chance. I certainly would have to have a more comfortable bike than the Dyna wide Glide I have now.

I'll bet it's going to be a trip you'll never forget!

Anyway you can upload pictures of different stops along the way as you're going? An iphone would be perfect for that.

Edit...I just looked at your map. You're SO CLOSE, why not make the loop back to the coast of NC? how many people can say they have gone coast to coast?

You're missing some of the prettiest parts of the country not hitting he coastal southeast.

This kind of reminds me of that Alton Brown show called feasting on asphalt. He rode from the East Coast to the West Coast on one show. He only took the backroads and he only ate at local diners/dives on the way. He probably gained 30 lbs. but it looked like fun. The next season he stayed close to the Mississippi river the whole trip and went from the Mississippi River delta to the headwaters somewhere in Minnesota.

Awesome trip. Good luck. Be safe!

I got dragged on a similar trip with family when I was 15, only we went counter-clockwise, and I ended up doing about half the car driving. It was the trip of a lifetime that I hope to repeat with my kids some day.

The plan is to scoot across the I-40 as fast as possible.
You almost made me laugh. We took I-20 on the southern leg and it took almost two days just to get across Texas! Stopped at a campground and ran into some folks that made (opportunistic) rattlesnake chili the night before. I just think there's no shooting across the midwest as fast as possible.
Some random thoughts:

- watch out for animals and try not to hit them (animals too stupid to stay out of your path don't deserve to live, but don't let them take you with them)

- dead skunks still spray

- don't spend too much time on the highway if there's a good backroad alternative

- stop and take a picture of each state crossing

- the desolate wasteland stretches across Arizona, California, Nevada, and Utah are just that

- don't miss the CA coastal highway

- be careful on the bike

- the Rockies are cool

- Texas and Wyoming are big (didn't make it to Montana, but I assume the same)

Also, you should take a laptop and log in to EB.com with daily updates .

Back