% Correct on Construction AM

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Does anyone think the construction AM portion was more difficult this time around than on previous exams? I have to ask because this being my 3rd time of taking it, my first two % correct in that topic was 63% and 75%....this time around I dropped all the way to 38%, that is half of what I have been normally getting. I have no doubt this is why I will be taking it again. It's very frustrating and confusing that this is the only area that tripped me up, everything else was great.

So has anyone else experienced that type of drop in construction AM scores?

Does anyone think the construction AM portion was more difficult this time around than on previous exams? I have to ask because this being my 3rd time of taking it, my first two % correct in that topic was 63% and 75%....this time around I dropped all the way to 38%, that is half of what I have been normally getting. I have no doubt this is why I will be taking it again. It's very frustrating and confusing that this is the only area that tripped me up, everything else was great.
I think that's what they're trying to do with the PE Exam Results Thread, but no one seems to be offering their diagnostics.

PS - I agree with your assessment of the portion's difficulty. I thought the AM Construction had some really "out there" questions

Last edited by a moderator:
this was my first attempt for PE civil with geotech depth. i already knew my failure from tx board site b4 but recently i got the official letter with diagnostic.

Knowledge areas percent correct

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Breadth-Construction 50

Breadth-Geotech 62 <----- killer

Breadth-Structural 50

Breadth-Transportation 75

Breadth-Water resources and env 38 <--------killer, i din trust enviro at all but still...

Subsurface exploration and sampling 67

Engg properties of soils and materials 60 <-------killer

Soil Mechanics Analysis 40 <-------killer

Earthquake Engineering 100

Earth Structures 0 <-------backstabber

Shallow Foundations 83

Earth Retaining Structures 67

Deep Foundations 75

Other topics 40 <------killer

By looking at the percentage of questions from the outlined sylabus it seems i had 45 or 46 questions correct out of a total of 80, and my scaled score was "60". So assuming that 56 might be the magic number of required correct answers i fell short drastically. i feel bad bcoz i missed points on easy topics which could have very easily got me those 10 extra correct answers. but again, i dont know mayb the required correct answers this time was 60/80. i pretty much predicted similar amount of correct answers and i thought some of my guessed answers would pull me up but guess not. But after seing the diagnostic i am again motivated to study and will try my best to nail it on the second time in october:)

I gave PE in NC second time and passed,,,for me the hardest part was AM construction,,,i agree with you that AM construction was more difficult than October 08 exam...

Isn't the construction AM exam the same as every other AM section of the PE: Civil exam?

Back