Construction

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4william

Reaction score
What do you think the CUT score for construction will be? Or, do you think it will be the same as the others?

I didn't take Construction, but I heard several people saying how easy it was? If I didn't have good luck with transportation this time, maybe I'll give Construction a try in October!

I took the construction depth and it was not overwhelming. I am not a wiz, I just study hard. I'm thinking I got around a 53%. I think 55 to 56 is passing. I was wonderin g if the cut score will be different for this since it was there first time offering it.

Last edited by a moderator:
cut score??

last time i "decoded" the diagnostic results that i got with the "F" letter and

figured that i got 55 right out of 80 which comes out to about 68%.

56 out of 80 is a 70%, passing...

This is a common misconception. The number 70 is just a number one needs to get to pass, as they say it is a score. It is not a percentage and definitely not the percentage of questions answered correct. There are threads on this board from the past exam results that try to "guestimate" the # of questions v/s the failing score. There is no definite answer as yet, it is all speculation. As you know the cut score has several things built into it. When you say that you got 70% correct out of 80, that is 56 correct, it assumes that all the questions on the test counts towards the final score. However, as we know there are some questions that are ambiguous and are taken out of the analysis when determining the final cut score, so I say even when we get the % of questions answered correctly, we don't know if it is a % out of 75 or 78 questions being considered for the final score. it is never going to be accurate, may be within 2-4 questions of accuracy.

Also, I don't think there is any adjustment suggested for a new depth section, since in that case the whole of AM section was made differently this time. Also, Water/Env PM was new too and Trans PM had some changes. As NCEES say it depends on the pool of test takers and the difficulty of the exam.

I took the construction portion without even studying for it and felt i smoked it.

My biggest issue is that there is no way someone should be a registered PE if they passed the construction portion.

CONSTRUCTION MANAGEMENT IS NOT ENGINEERING!!!

AGC offers the Certified Professional Constructor, take that if you want to be a construction manager.

I took the construction portion without even studying for it and felt i smoked it.
My biggest issue is that there is no way someone should be a registered PE if they passed the construction portion.

AGC offers the Certified Professional Constructor, take that if you want to be a construction manager.
Is this your first time taking the PE exam?

No, I took the Civil Structural last time and it whooped my butt.
So how did you think the breadth portion compared? Even if the structural depth "whooped your butt", if you do sufficiently well on the breadth you should still be able to pass using just about any of the PE depths. Of course, many of us don't do sufficiently well on the breadth, but that's another topic!

I think maybe you're being a little too harsh in judging Construction Engineering (it's not Construction MANAGEMENT). Granted some of it is ridiculously basic but I think you'll find that with all of the depths.

Totally unrelated topic: What's the significance of your screen name? Are you in the Navy?

So how did you think the breadth portion compared? Even if the structural depth "whooped your butt", if you do sufficiently well on the breadth you should still be able to pass using just about any of the PE depths. Of course, many of us don't do sufficiently well on the breadth, but that's another topic!
I think maybe you're being a little too harsh in judging Construction Engineering (it's not Construction MANAGEMENT). Granted some of it is ridiculously basic but I think you'll find that with all of the depths.

Totally unrelated topic: What's the significance of your screen name? Are you in the Navy?
I agree with IlPadrino, basically you are saying anyone who takes the construction depth and get s a PE is a fraud, and I take alot of offense to that. I work out in the field everyday, and make engineering decisions on a daily basis. Even though we don't design in an office and do drawings, doesn't mean engineering knowledge and reasoning aren't part of the job.

I am glad people are responding to your comments. I have had a complex every since I read your email. I worked really hard, took a test masters review course, and still do not feel like I just completely nailed the construction debth. I am thinking I got around 50%..........and am hoping this is enough to get me a passing grade. However, this was my first attempt at the PE and did not know what to expect!

I will be waiting to see if you pass or fail.

The real tragedy here is that you now have to retake the exam. Because I can't believe you would use the license when truly you believe that you shouldn't be a registered PE after taking the exam.

The real tragedy here is that you now have to retake the exam. Because I can't believe you would use the license when truly you believe that you shouldn't be a registered PE after taking the exam.
Very true!!!

Besides, I have a couple of friends that took the Construction PM, and found it hard. Both of them have hands on experience in the construction field (both of them are Civil Engineers).

Thanks.

RC.

abso-friggin-lutely offensive and ignorant that's all i can think of right now. what makes you come to this conclusion? i agree with all the posters here. if by some means you feel that construction PE depth exam is not sufficient to be a registered PE then I bet you are right.. coz it is just one of the requirements... remember, you had to submit an application and had to be accepted by the board.. yes, that my friend completes the requirements to be a registered PE - Education, Experience, Exam!! 3E's to a PE.......

Still you feel the urge to change the system then NCEES has a system.. volunteer to be an exam developer...that way you can have your say... but for that you will have to wait to be a PE yourself and in this case.. a PE with construction depth module ;) .

Very true!!!
Besides, I have a couple of friends that took the Construction PM, and found it hard. Both of them have hands on experience in the construction field (both of them are Civil Engineers).

Thanks.

RC.
I'm not sure you're helping counter his argument... he'll likely counter that their experience is to be expected - after all, they aren't Real™ Engineers.

there is a significant difference in construction engineering and construction management

I was better prepared this time for the breadth portion this time around.

I cannot wait until more people take the construction module and get other people's thoughts on it. It seemed far too basic. It is pointless to attempt to argue with what anyone has already posted, but I think time will show that some changes need to be made.

Yes, I am in the Navy.

I agree with IlPadrino, basically you are saying anyone who takes the construction depth and get s a PE is a fraud, and I take alot of offense to that. I work out in the field everyday, and make engineering decisions on a daily basis. Even though we don't design in an office and do drawings, doesn't mean engineering knowledge and reasoning aren't part of the job.
I don't believe that I said anyone was a fraud.

Just out of curiosity, if you don't design in an office and do drawings, why are you attempting to attain your PE?

abso-friggin-lutely offensive and ignorant that's all i can think of right now. what makes you come to this conclusion? i agree with all the posters here. if by some means you feel that construction PE depth exam is not sufficient to be a registered PE then I bet you are right.. coz it is just one of the requirements... remember, you had to submit an application and had to be accepted by the board.. yes, that my friend completes the requirements to be a registered PE - Education, Experience, Exam!! 3E's to a PE.......
Still you feel the urge to change the system then NCEES has a system.. volunteer to be an exam developer...that way you can have your say... but for that you will have to wait to be a PE yourself and in this case.. a PE with construction depth module ;) .
Offensive -- I didn't mean to be, but ignorant, Have you taken both exams? Can you speak knowledgeably to the differences of both? Not that I am an expert on both exams, nor do I ever hope to be, but I have taken both exams and feel that that their is a sizable difference in level of difficulty between the two. I realize that there is a series of requirements that have to be met to even sit for the exam, but I feel more effort needs to be put forth by the board to do due just to the construction module. Maybe someday I will be able to help the board rewriting the exam :)

I don't believe that I said anyone was a fraud.
Just out of curiosity, if you don't design in an office and do drawings, why are you attempting to attain your PE?
To be fair, I kind of believe this proves my point about your knowledge of construction. Construction managers are employed typically by the contractor, and do alot of scheduling/estimating, and work with the foremen. The project engineers take care of all design changes, submittals, any and all problems during the construction process. The typical DOT wants you to have your PE to run a job, and almost all private firms require it. Besides all that, even if you think the depth was easy, and that's fine if it was for you, to base an entire profession on 40 questions you took on a single test is just plain ignorant, and I'm glad you admitted that in your post.

Back