Conflict of Interest Paperwork

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benbo

Reaction score
I guess this is a rant. Any other government workers here have to fill out financial disclosure forms? We have to do it every year, and I guess it is so we don't give preferential treatment to any company we regulate to increase our stocks or something. These stupid things are about 20 pages long, and I never know what is declarable from year to year. They tell us to ask the lawyers, but they are busy and act real annoyed if you ask them.

My manager is a real stickler. We are not supposed to accept anything at all from the people we regulate. No ball caps, or pens, or lunches. They always have buffets and catered affairs out at the plants we regulate, and we aren't supposed to touch any of it without paying. The rules aren't really that strict, but that's how he wants it. I guess it is better safe than sorry.

One time we went to the state ISO for something and they brought in sandwiches. THe boss made us pay - and they cost like $7.00 for a stale ham sandwich.

^^Our state ethics rules are also very strict, though we are allowed to eat at a buffet, as long as it is relatively "public" and we are not the only people invited. Aside from that, though, no lunches, no sodas on the jobsite, etc.

We don't have to fill out financial interest disclosures every year, though. We're on an honesty policy - submit it only when you develop a conflict.

And I am probably one of the few who follows those rules.

I work in private consulting so it's obviously different. I've known different people who have taken different stances. I don't care if the contractor wants to buy me a hot drink on a cold day or heaven forbid a company t-shirt. It will take more than that to 'buy me.' Common sense will tell you when they're just being nice and trying to foster a relationship vs. trying to buy you into approving their work. I've had supervisors suggest I do the same for them for the same reasons. A good vibe between contractor and engineer goes a long way.

I've also know engineers who have had the same contractors doing work for them on the side, and ones who refuse even a cup of coffee. All depends on the person I guess.

we have to fill them out for any revenue we make outside of my county job, My wife disbanded her dietician business effective 12.31.07 (thank god, no more letters from everyone IRS) but I was listed as the VP, I got a funny look explaining to them that I was just on paper, and the $$ was my wifes income not mine, that I was just listed on paper.. I think they really thought I ran some sort of diet supplement company, I was , no, my wife goes to nursing homes and tries to keep them from killing the residents I said...then they understood.

As a client, consultants and contractors are good for one thing, lunch! :jk:

We have a Department Directive that address ethics and generally addresses topics such as meals and 'gifting'. We are required to take an intranet webinar annually to demonstrate that we are aware of the directive. Unfortunately, the directive is so vague and wishy-washy that it is set-up to confuse the hell out of you.

Basically, if you are Bureau Chief and above, you are required to disclose financials, gifts, meals, etc. If you are a joe schmoe - you aren't required to complete the paperwork but expected to follow the tenants.

Many inspectors take a zero-acceptance policy - don't accept a thing and you can't get into trouble. For myself, I have accepted water, coffee, and 'working lunches' as long as the items are reasonably priced and offered to the working group as opposed to just myself (individually). In most cases, the working lunches actually SAVED money for the good people of the State by allowing me to wrap up quicker or shave a hotel stay or two along the way.

I have pointed out to my bureau chief that the way the ethics directives are written and presented that they are punitive at best. That is NOT the way this should be addressed, rather these concepts should be interwoven into the Department's 'culture' of understanding rather than "don't do it!!"

To me, it is just another landmine to avoid - unfortunately, I think it is an unnecessary abrasion that everyone is subjected to endure.

JR

Back when I worked for the DoD in the late eighties-mid nineties, we were allowed NO contact with contractors after work. If you did so, you had to fill out a contact report that went in your personnel folder. Too many, and you'd get a verbal reprimand, agin that'd go in your personnel folder.

One night a group of co-workers went to Applebee's. normally I went, but decided to go hang around the pool that afternoon. Well, a contactor walked in and asked to buy them all a drink. The left as a group, filled out contact reports the next day, but still got verbal reprimands from the colonel. it was insane.

Now as a statie, it isn't nearly as bad, but after living through that BS, I accept nothing. It is thebest way to stay out of trouble.

We have to take an online ethics tutorial every year, but we don't have to fill out a disclosure paper. We can accept food at functions relating to the project, and small things like company logo hats, pens etc... It's kind of a $10 rule...if it is something small, its no big deal, but if it is something bigger we have to refuse it, or accept it and immediately give it to charity and file a document indicating the exchange and charity receving it.

We also can't work for a company we have "regulated" for one year after leaving the Agency.

Last edited by a moderator:
Im with you RG, my wife is on the board of directors of her fathers company which means we get some interesting paper work in the mail sometimes. When I worked for the state government we didnt have to fill out anything to disclose conflicts of interest and we were allowed up to a certain allowance on things we could accept (small meals, pens etc).

The spoils of private work, we routinely accept and give 'gifts'... the purchasing department here does really well at Christmas from the subs.

Last edited by a moderator:
We also can't work for a company we have "regulated" for one year after leaving the Agency.
We have that rule, too, and I personally spoke with one of the attorneys at our public auditor's office. Effectively, that would prevent from working ANY engineering job for one year, since I regulate everybody. She agreed and said that it has come up before, and they way they "interpret" this rule currently is that it's not important that you regulated them, but if you had any part in awarding a contract to them, or were involved in any enforcement action against them. In that case, you may still be allowed to work for that company, but you may not be involved with the specifc projects that you were involved with as a regulator or through the procurement project (whtin one year). I think that is a pretty reasonable approach.

In my state agency, they have it setup to where you are not allowed to 'represent' a company before the Department within 2-yrs of leaving the agency if you regulated a company.

The language is still really, really ambiguous with lots of loopholes because our former Dept Secretary mediated a negotiated settlement with International Paper and turned around to work for them as a VP within months of the executed resolution. I was absolutely FLOORED that somebody wasn't screaming ETHICS VIOLATION !!!!

JR

Back