Concrete Design Question - SE II or III

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McEngr

Reaction score
Can anyone confirm if a Strut and Tie Model will be necessary for concrete-related questions on the SE II OR III? I'm pretty rusty on those and only did pile caps and truss-models for short-span / high load deep beams in college.

Thanks.

McEngr

McEngr,

I thought the S&T stuff in the SERM was about right for the SEII. Since the jury is out on the SEIII, I'd recommend finding a used ACI 318-02/05 based textbook for studying.

I hope this helps!

McEngr,
I thought the S&T stuff in the SERM was about right for the SEII. Since the jury is out on the SEIII, I'd recommend finding a used ACI 318-02/05 based textbook for studying.

I hope this helps!
Thanks Kevo. I didn't realize that the newer SERM had S&T models. I have the 3rd edition. Is that the S&T that you are referring to or did you use the SERM4? A. Williams seems to improve his stuff with every edition, albeit with errata.

I was talking about the 3rd edition, but I have bought the 4th edition a few months ago to jumpstart my SE studying. The 4th edition is MUCH better for concrete, seismic diaphram & rigidity, as well as for steel. (The updated concrete column interaction diagrams are worth it if you can't photocopy a textbook.)

I will have to put my SEIII studying on hold though. I know that I didn't "fully" pass my CA special exams. When I get back to my mailbox from my vacation I'll find out the whole story on this. I'm pretty sure that I'll be retaking surveying though. :(

I was talking about the 3rd edition, but I have bought the 4th edition a few months ago to jumpstart my SE studying. The 4th edition is MUCH better for concrete, seismic diaphram & rigidity, as well as for steel. (The updated concrete column interaction diagrams are worth it if you can't photocopy a textbook.)
I will have to put my SEIII studying on hold though. I know that I didn't "fully" pass my CA special exams. When I get back to my mailbox from my vacation I'll find out the whole story on this. I'm pretty sure that I'll be retaking surveying though. :(
That sucks. Sorry man. I guess you're human after all. :) I'll be taking those CA tests next year.

Back