Concise Reference for Fault Calculations

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

power62

Reaction score
Short circuit calculations topic is covered in many text books. I am rather looking for some good concise reference material for this topic.

Thanks

Google "Short Circuit ABC - Learn it in an Hour, Use It Anywhere, Memorize No Formula"

It's by Moon H. Yuen. It is the MVA method. Use it. You will never use per unit for fault current calcs again.

Wow... Just read about the MVA method. I cannot believe I spent so much time fretting over the per unit method problems in the past. The senior fellas' at work all use the P.U. method. I never could fully work a problem without having to look at some type of formula cheat sheet. :brickwall: I'm sad to say I never heard of the MVA method prior to this.

Big help...Thanks for sharing.

Thanks danderson and Lielec.

I too read the MVA method over this weekend. Wow, so easy and simple.

If I can help you get even one additional question right on the exam than great, it all helps

This method is really great. I read this board about a week ago and learned in less than an hour. You still need to know the per unit method for a handful of problems, but more than half can be done using this method. It normally involves 2-3 less formulas and each formula is much less complex. I highly recommend taking the time to learn this.

Back