Comity in CA

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

knight1fox3

Jedi MASTER & Friend of Capt. Solo
Reaction score
Can anyone help shed some light on what requirements are necessary to apply for comity in CA as an electrical PE (power)? I've heard mixed things where some say electricals still need to take the state-specific surveying exam but not the seismic. The FAQ document on the website only makes mention of a take-home written test on California engineering laws and rules as part of the application process. It does mention the state-specific seismic and surveying exams but only for civil engineers applying for comity. Can anyone else provide any insight to this? Thank you in advance.

Can anyone help shed some light on what requirements are necessary to apply for comity in CA as an electrical PE (power)? I've heard mixed things where some say electricals still need to take the state-specific surveying exam but not the seismic. The FAQ document on the website only makes mention of a take-home written test on California engineering laws and rules as part of the application process. It does mention the state-specific seismic and surveying exams but only for civil engineers applying for comity. Can anyone else provide any insight to this? Thank you in advance.
bump for this topic -

PE Mechancial (Mech Syst & Mat)

we send a fair amount of equip out to CA, and i'd like to be able to stamp the supports and equipment attachments. is this acceptable w/o going through the 16hrs of ick to have the structural completed?

The key word being "equipent" not structure. We supply the resultant loadings transmitted through the equipment supports from the wind/seismic inputs and the customer's firm is responsible for the structure to handle those loads.

In CA there are no state specific exams for Electrical Power, only for Civil and Structural. California Electrical Code is identical to National electrical code with every "National" replaced with "California." You can apply for comity without a problem.

In CA there are no state specific exams for Electrical Power, only for Civil and Structural. California Electrical Code is identical to National electrical code with every "National" replaced with "California." You can apply for comity without a problem.
Thanks again for the reply palvarez83. I also confirmed what you indicated with the CA state board directly.

Back