Coming Soon: Free Internet From Space

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Capt Worley PE

Run silent, run deep
Reaction score
If all goes according to plan, North Koreans will soon have free, uncensored Internet provided by satellites the size of toaster ovens.

That's part of a project called Outernet, which hopes to launch hundreds of tiny satellites—known as CubeSats—to provide Internet to every person on Earth. Forty percent of the world's people currently don't have access to the Web. In a little more than a year, Outernet plans to have a fleet of 24 satellites operational and testing to pave the way for a globe-spanning network.

The satellites won't be providing conventional Internet right away. They'll initially be used for one-way communication to provide services like emergency updates, news, crop prices, and educational programs. Users will help determine what content is offered.That's part of a project called Outernet, which hopes to launch hundreds of tiny satellites—known as CubeSats—to provide Internet to every person on Earth.

Forty percent of the world's people currently don't have access to the Web. In a little more than a year, Outernet plans to have a fleet of 24 satellites operational and testing to pave the way for a globe-spanning network.
http://www.nationaljournal.com/tech/coming-soon-free-internet-from-space-20140220

Last edited by a moderator:
Until a storm or band of clouds rolls through. Or perhaps a solar flare.

Internet+connection+not+found.png

Perhaps EG would care to comment on the reliability of satellite internet? :p

Last edited by a moderator:
^^I've always wondered about that, but my parents report 0 problems with WildBlue and say it is far more reliable than their AT&T account ever was.

^^I've always wondered about that, but my parents report 0 problems with WildBlue and say it is far more reliable than their AT&T account ever was.
Really? Now that is interesting. How often do they use it? I'm guessing they don't know/care what the UL/DL speeds are. I'd be curious to see what they are. Probably no media stream either? Cool that it works for them though. I've heard nothing but complaints for any satellite providers in our area and most of WI in general.

And AT&T is the suck anyway. LOL

I could probably get away with internet via satillite. We only really use it to stream Netflix or provide wi-fi to play on facebook on our phones...

^ that's probably where the major problems arise, streaming online content. I'm guessing CW's parents really don't do much streaming.

Really? Now that is interesting. How often do they use it? I'm guessing they don't know/care what the UL/DL speeds are. I'd be curious to see what they are. Probably no media stream either? Cool that it works for them though. I've heard nothing but complaints for any satellite providers in our area and most of WI in general.

And AT&T is the suck anyway. LOL

Nah, they don't stream much, maybe the occasional youtube if even that. They generally use it like I do, for info, not entertainment/gaming.

But, it never, ever goes out on them and for what they use it for, response is fantastic.

Back