Combustion Problem, Chapter 21, #8

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JHW 3d

Here's Johnny...
Reaction score
Working through Ch 21 problems in MERM13, and stuck on 21.8 (a):

The solution makes an assumption of the combustion gas temperature of 1000degF., when selecting the specific heat from Table 21-1. How/Why would they use 1000F... ? I picked a temperature midway through the combustion temperature (results) ~ 4000F, and used that to calculate the specific heat. The solutions correct answer is 4,500F, so wouldn't that indicate the assumption before was bad...

Any ideas here?

Is this one of those problems that requires iteration? If so I'd guess 1000 too. I never see a much higher flue gas temp in my line of work.

Solution does not iterate. I do not bring much intuition about the result, since this is not my principle line of work, but it's just odd they don't mention anything about a source of their assumption.

In part (b), the result shows an actual temperature of about 900 deg F (from the theoretical calculated in part (a) of 4500 deg F), so the original assumption is validated. I guess that's about as good an answer we can expect.

Back