Colorado claims the right to all rain within the state

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Speaking as a Colorado resident on well water, this law was an improvement to the old. They used to not allow us to collect any rain water for external home use. If you had a household well, you could use it outside at all. I was tagged and nearly fined for watering outside with rain water I collected. If I had a domestic well, I could water outside. Now, we can collect water and use it in the ayrd.

It's a big no-no to wash our cars. I find it crazy that the water that flows from the mountains I live in can be spread all over Vegas and Southern California, but I can;t have an outside hot tub or wash my car, but at least I am allowed to collect a small amount of rain water to have a few flowers.

Wish I was one of the rich lawyers who purchased all the H2O rights long ago. They sell permits for exterior use, but they're not cheap.

Annnnnd Colorado is added to the list of places I won't live.

Oh, who am I kidding. it was too cold there anyway.

It looks like they don't allow graywater re-use either...Where we are in Texas, it is very difficult to get new development permitted without some sort of water recycling program for irrigation in common areas. Everyone knows you don't drink from the sprinklers with the purple tops...

^^^ There are some facilities (although very limited) that use recycled water. The ones I've seen are closer to Boulder (the hippy/yuppie capitol of the state).

lol, I lived in Golden for about 8 years and Coors was always the first reference that comes up.

lol, I lived in Golden for about 8 years and Coors was always the first reference that comes up.

When Smokey and the Bandit came out, my uncle asked, "What idiot would drive to Texas for that crap, let alone risk their driver's license over it?"

I had Coors in mind as well, but figured most people wouldn't catch that...I have a really good friend that's an exec at Bud (Imbev now), he started as a Chem E working at the Bud plant in Colorado. I'm pretty sure one of the drunkest nights of my life was a taste test party he threw...there was 50 different beers from around the globe and you had to cleanse your pallet between each with a budlight...I was between his wife and mine and neither of the ladies drink much beer, so i was doing mine and theirs...

nah, he was busy giving a report on each beer...it was all serious for about the first 15-20 for the entire party, where the beer was from, flavor profile, ect...After that, my friend took it serious for the next 10 or so, but realized that the reports were just falling on def, drunken ears!

I had Coors in mind as well, but figured most people wouldn't catch that...

There isn't much else in Golden is there? Besides the Colorado School of Mines.

nah, he was busy giving a report on each beer...it was all serious for about the first 15-20 for the entire party, where the beer was from, flavor profile, ect...After that, my friend took it serious for the next 10 or so, but realized that the reports were just falling on def, drunken ears!

Whooosh!

Back