Collecting Codes based on April 2015

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrbdo

Reaction score
Since the standards (i.e. codes/specs) were updated in April 2015 and I plan on taking the vertical in April 2017 and lateral in October 2017, does anyone think that the list provided by NCEES will be updated before then?  I'm a little worried that I get these standards and then they change mid-study on me.  I'm sure I'm not the first to ask the question and apologize if I missed it somewhere.  If I did miss the topic, could you provide the link?

Thanks,

Mike

The current codes are based on IBC 2012.  Although IBC 2015 has been out for a year now, it took over 3 years for them to switch to IBC 2012 from the date it came out so I would think the test may change in 2018 but you should be good for 2017.  Just my opinion.

The current codes are based on IBC 2012.  Although IBC 2015 has been out for a year now, it took over 3 years for them to switch to IBC 2012 from the date it came out so I would think the test may change in 2018 but you should be good for 2017.  Just my opinion.
That's good information to know.  Thank you.

My guess matches Dawg's estimate; end of 2017 for the code change. However, I'd consider in your planning that they could switch in the middle of 2017 or even as early as the end of 2016. This does seem unlikely though as the exam review prep people only just caught up at the start of this year and I'm sure NCEES also wants to ride out the 2012 IBC as long as they can. Have any jurisdictions adopted 2015 yet?

My guess matches Dawg's estimate; end of 2017 for the code change. However, I'd consider in your planning that they could switch in the middle of 2017 or even as early as the end of 2016. This does seem unlikely though as the exam review prep people only just caught up at the start of this year and I'm sure NCEES also wants to ride out the 2012 IBC as long as they can. Have any jurisdictions adopted 2015 yet?
I've worked on a job in Maryland and know that IBC 2015 has been adopted there and it looks like it has been in New Jersey, South Dakota, Wyoming, and Colorado also.  Even then, IBC 2015 still references ASCE 7-10 and Steel Construction Manual 14th Edition so not much changes for what I do.  Here's a link that they keep pretty well updated http://www.iccsafe.org/wp-content/uploads/stateadoptions.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
Dawg: Nice link, I hadn't seen that before and that's very handy. I'll definitely remember that one.

IBC 2015 adopted ACI 318-14, MSJC-13, NDS-15 and SDPWS-15 though. Plus I'm sure they'll update to a later AASHTO. It's definitely not going to be a seamless transition. (Goodness, I don't even want to think about updating the PPI review course for all the changed section numbers in ACI 318-14).

Something to consider also is that oftentimes new codes are drastically different from old codes.  There are certainly exceptions (ASCE 7-05 to 7-10 wind provisions for instance) but a lot of times the changes are minor (IE AISC steel construction manual 13th to 14th edition).  So if the purpose is to collect codes solely for the sake of a test, and you find some end up being outdated, you can probably do a little research to find out what the major changes are, and whether you think its worth purchasing.  

I am sailing on the same boat. Planning to take Vertical in April 2017 and Lateral in Oct 2017. Since many people are willing to bet on AASHTO, I can reasonably assume it will change in 2016. I understand, NCEES does not change Bridge and Building codes at the same time. However, the building codes has a high probability of changing for the Oct 2017 exam. My employer has ACI 318-14 so I surmise I need to arrange ACI 318-11.

There will be an update to the SE exam code standards after the exam is given at the end of this month (October 2016). My guess is they will publish the new code standards probably 1st or 2nd week of November. Hopefully they will say that the codes will be the standards for the "2017 exams" or something like that, so you can plan ahead. But I would wait until November before spending too much time collecting the codes so you don't waste time or money.  

That being said, South Carolina has been IBC 2015 since July 1st, 2016. NCEES is located in South Carolina, so it is not outside the realm of possibility that they will update to IBC 2015 which will have a big impact for ACI 318-14, etc. Also, the latest AASHTO has been out for a couple years now so it could be updated too.

But....wait until November. 

It says it on the NCEES website, right above where you download the exam specs. See attached.

SE Exam Code Update.JPG

Oh, I see. I recall that being there for each exam cycle though; I took it to be a reminder that updates, if made, will be applied then.

TME, Thanks for all your insight for upcoming standards!

I was wondering AISC will have a Steel Construction Manual 15th Edition(Summer 2017) and Seismic Manual(Summer 2018) , will these affect other specification(ACSE 7-10,IBC or any other standards for SE exam?

pkarna77,

It will probably be a couple years before those are incorporated into the codes. IBC 2018 I guess. Probably longer for the SE exam. 

Thanks David!

I got your bridge book and just started,looks fantastic. I am planning to take Lateral(building) in April next year. I have seen the recommended text/materials by you and TME and other SE in a separate topic started by PE Stamp. Will those cover the afternoon(essay questions? Can you suggest where I can find more materials specially for afternoon building (Vertical/Lateral)? The advice given by many of the practicing SE on this site  is invaluable for SE test takers, very thankful to all of you for that.

Thanks for buying my book pkarna77!  

Generally, those references that I mention in my book and what you have seen here should be enough for you for the essay questions as well.  For the Lateral Building exam, if there is only 1 book that I would say is an absolute must is the SEAOC IBC 2012 Seismic Design Manual, Volume 1.  Know that book and your seismic studying will be done for the most part, in regards to buildings. 

Hooray, I'm already using the 7th edition at work. No changes for me!

However, this does definitely signal that we can likely expect an update to 2015 IBC either for the October 2017 exam and almost assuredly for the April 2018 exam. Anyone studying for the April 2017 exam would be well advised to keep a budget for buying new texts. Updating to ACI 318-14 is going to be a lot of work as all the reference material, examples, and so on will point to incorrect/non-existent section numbers now. However, this will probably be a less painful code change for examinees than when we switched from 2009 IBC to 2012 IBC.

Back