Codes for CA Sesimic

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MOOK

Reaction score
Do I have to take ACI, ASCE, NDS, and Masonry codes with me to CA seismic exam besides IBC and ASCE??

Unless you really have a great knowledge of seismic I would and am taking all I can. The problem is the passing scores are so low that you really cannot afford to miss one of the easy look up questions, there will be plenty that you cannot work. I am taking all of them and studying all as well. I just dont have the background to risk not passing

Unless you really have a great knowledge of seismic I would and am taking all I can. The problem is the passing scores are so low that you really cannot afford to miss one of the easy look up questions, there will be plenty that you cannot work. I am taking all of them and studying all as well. I just dont have the background to risk not passing
I respectfully disagree. Mook, structural guys like you should pass the CA seismic exam with ease, but I do think that the seismic exam may be a bit tough, even a bit unfair, for non-structural civil people. All you need are the ASCE 7, IBC (Chapters >=16) and Steve Hiner's seismic review book (I took your 1st "ASCE" as a typo of "AISC"). good luck!

I dont think we disagree, if you have enough knowledge to do well on many of the more complecated parts then you dont need the few points you may pick up from a couple of additional references. In my case I need all the lookup and study guides that I can get.

I dont think we disagree, if you have enough knowledge to do well on many of the more complecated parts then you dont need the few points you may pick up from a couple of additional references. In my case I need all the lookup and study guides that I can get.
I see your point, EnVEngineer. However it's a lot of efforts to study these codes. When I took it last April, the lookup type questions were more from ASCE 7 and IBC.

Thanks EnvEngineer and bcy for your feedback.

I used to take all my references to the PE and SE exams I had before but this was it my state. This time I will be flying to CA and I have to compromise.

I have another question; will I need California Building Code? If the answer is yes, what are the differences in CBC and IBC. I have copy of CBC but I never opened it.

Thanks again guys

Thanks EnvEngineer and bcy for your feedback. I used to take all my references to the PE and SE exams I had before but this was it my state. This time I will be flying to CA and I have to compromise.

I have another question; will I need California Building Code? If the answer is yes, what are the differences in CBC and IBC. I have copy of CBC but I never opened it.

Thanks again guys
IBC and CBC are almost identical; I don't think you need CBC for that if you have a copy of IBC. I flew to CA for the two state-specific exams as well. I had everything fit in my carry-on luggage including 6 books for the two exams (main body of ASCE 7, portion of IBC and Hiner's book for seismic and the other 3 for survey). However I did over study for these two exams, as I didn't want to go to CA and claim the expenses from work twice for the same purpose.

Just speaking from experience: Once you receive the approval letter for the exams from the CA board, I would suggest you to send/fax them a request for a specific exam site, so that you can book your tickets much earlier. I received the letter where to take the exams 4 days before the exam, but I was well set long before then.

Thanks EnvEngineer and bcy for your feedback. I used to take all my references to the PE and SE exams I had before but this was it my state. This time I will be flying to CA and I have to compromise.

Thanks again guys
IBC and CBC are almost identical; I don't think you need CBC for that if you have a copy of IBC. I flew to CA for the two state-specific exams as well. I had everything fit in my carry-on luggage including 6 books for the two exams (main body of ASCE 7, portion of IBC and Hiner's book for seismic and the other 3 for survey). However I did over study for these two exams, as I didn't want to go to CA and claim the expenses from work twice for the same purpose.

Just speaking from experience: Once you receive the approval letter for the exams from the CA board, I would suggest you to send/fax them a request for a specific exam site, so that you can book your tickets much earlier. I received the letter where to take the exams 4 days before the exam, but I was well set long before then.
I already sent them the requst for the specific exam site. I did not get any approval from them so far despite that I applied in November. I sent them two cards too but got no reply so far. I wonder if I have to pay any additiona fee for the exam or the $275 I paid for the application fee is everything?

Thanks bcy for your help

Thanks again guys

Unless you plan on designing in CA, save your money and get the IBC. It is almost the same.

Latest posts

Back