Coach Passed Away on Saturday

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slugger926

Reaction score
My college baseball coach passed away on Saturday which made for a rough weekend after finding out.  Before that, I put a WC title on our Golden Retriever, then we hit Silver Dollar City on Sunday.

The coach was old school with pushing us on and off the field.  Every morning started at 6am with 3 miles and 60 60-yard dashes before classes.  Practice from 12:30 to 6 pm, then a run to the cafeteria to eat before 6:30pm.  We then got the weight room at midnight after all the other sports, and sessions went to 1 or 2am.  We would start with 200 kids in the fall which would be cut to 34 of us by the fall.  I was part of his best two seasons in 91 and 92 at Tarleton State, and was in charge of our hitting practices, and also caught many of the pitchers during their practicing.

I don't think coaches are allowed to coach in his style anymore. 

http://www.tarletonsports.com/news/2016/5/28/baseball-tarleton-hall-of-fame-coach-jack-allen-passes-away.aspx

very sorry to hear, from the article they (& you) made it seem like he was a hell of a guy /coach!

Last edited by a moderator:
I remember going down a few years after he retired for an alumni game, and the new coach was complaining about being sued by two pitchers for not giving them enough time on the mound.  Their stats were awful.  Coach Allen would have ran them off, and not put up with them.

I have been busy over the weekend with text messages and Facebook messages with old teammates.

Back