Clarification regarding 30 Degree Phase shift between Phase to Phase and Phase to ground voltages

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wfg42438

Reaction score
Hello,

In the sample question from the NCEES PE exam in the solution they consider a 30 Degree Phase shift between Phase to Phase and Phase to ground voltages

From what i recall VAB leads Van by 30 deg which is why they place a -30 deg angle on Van

However this is the first time i see one of there solutions consider the 30 deg phase shift

IS there a general rule of thumb one can follow to not forget when this phase shift is applicable?

1646512081104.png
1646511958154.png

Hello,

In the sample question from the NCEES PE exam in the solution they consider a 30 Degree Phase shift between Phase to Phase and Phase to ground voltages

From what i recall VAB leads Van by 30 deg which is why they place a -30 deg angle on Van

However this is the first time i see one of there solutions consider the 30 deg phase shift

IS there a general rule of thumb one can follow to not forget when this phase shift is applicable?

View attachment 27165
View attachment 27164
In general, as you said the line-to-line voltages lead the line-to-neutral voltages by 30 degrees. This is assuming a balanced, positive-sequence ABC system.

If the phase angles are not given, usually (arbitrarily) Van is referenced at 0 degrees.

Vab leads Van by 30 degrees.

Vbc leads Vbn by 30 degrees.

Vca leads Vcn by 30 degrees.

So if Van is the reference at 0 degrees, then:

Vac is at 30 degrees.

Vbn is at -120 degrees.
Vbc is at -90 degrees. (-120 + 30 = -90)

Vcn is at +120 degrees.
Vca is at +150 degrees.

Hope this helps. (I am admittedly a bit rusty though.)

In general, as you said the line-to-line voltages lead the line-to-neutral voltages by 30 degrees. This is assuming a balanced, positive-sequence ABC system.

If the phase angles are not given, usually (arbitrarily) Van is referenced at 0 degrees.

Vab leads Van by 30 degrees.

Vbc leads Vbn by 30 degrees.

Vca leads Vcn by 30 degrees.

So if Van is the reference at 0 degrees, then:

Vac is at 30 degrees.

Vbn is at -120 degrees.
Vbc is at -90 degrees. (-120 + 30 = -90)

Vcn is at +120 degrees.
Vca is at +150 degrees.

Hope this helps. (I am admittedly a bit rusty though.)
Thanks for the feedback this helps!

Back