• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to EngineerBoards and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Civil PE Study Materials FS

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

meschroder

Reaction score
I just passed the Civil PE 1st time! :) Transportation Depth. Ask just about anyone, the best way to study is to solve problems!! I think the problems in these books were key to being able to study and not panic during the exam. Be careful with the Sample Exam though. It has great problems but is comprised of a lot of difficult problems so don't use it as a guage for how you will do on the actual exam.

I have the following materials for sale: (E=excellent with no marks); VG=few marks in pencil and/or errata corrections in Red ink)

1. Quick Reference for the Civil Engineering PE Exam - 4th ed. (E) - $20
Civil PE Sample Examination - 1st ed., 2nd Printing (E) - $25

NCEES Civil Engineering Sample Questions & Solutions - copyright 2000 (E) - $40 (Includes CD)

Practice Problems for the Civil Engineering PE Exam - 10th ed. (E) - $30

Six Minute Solutions for the Civil PE Exam (Transportation Problems - 2nd ed.) (VG) - $25

Six Minute Solutions for the Civil PE Exam (Geotechnical Problems - 1st ed., 2nd Printing) (VG) - $25

Six Minute Solutions for the Civil PE Exam (Environmental Problems - 1st ed., 2nd Printing) (VG) - $25

Six Minute Solutions for the Civil PE Exam Problems (Water Resources - 1st ed., 3rd Printing) (VG) - $25

Six Minute Solutions for the Civil PE Exam (Structural Problems - 2nd ed.) (VG) - $25

Civil Engineering in a Flash - 500 card flashcard set (E) - $10

Buy it all for $225 (I paid about $370 for all of this). Get the CE Reference Manual too. I thought it had some excellent sections for use during the exam. Also download the index from the "the other board" website. It's invaluable.
Prices include shipping by media mail for domestic US only. Other shipping methods possible, contact me first.

Thanks,

Mark Schroder

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm interested in the 6 minute Geo book. What exactly do you mean by very good conditions? Also, is this the most recent version? Please contact me [email protected]

Thanks

The only real difference between E and VG in any of the books is that VG has a few very minor marks made in the book in pencil that can be erased. However I did make a few corrections in some of the books with red ink according to the published errata to make sure that I didn't use the wrong information while studying. The Geotechnical six minute solutions book only has a couple of corrections in red ink.

I found that there were mistakes in almost all of the books and that the errata posted on the "the other board" website was helpful in most circumstances. However, I found some significant errors in the CERM (that I am keeping) and there still is no errata posted for the 10th edition, so I wouldn't consider that the errata posted includes corrections to all of the mistakes.

Thanks,

Mark

Do you still have any exam prep materials for sale? I am particularly interested in your 6-min solution books.

Thanks,

Angela

What did you think of the Civil Engineering in a Flash - 500 card flashcard set? Was it very useful?
I personally think it was a complete waste of money (and I only spent $15 on them!).

My reason? Most of the information is stuff that you DO NOT need to know, a lot of it is definitions of terms... and if you need a definition that you don't know on the exam, it takes 30 seconds to look it up in the CERM. In the exam, even if I was 100% sure that I knew something, I still took the 30 seconds to confirm. Very few people (who study) end up not finishing in time, so that 30 seconds is not going to kill you. You could spend many precious studying hours memorizing the facts on these 500 cards... or a grand total of 5 minutes during the exam to look up only those 10 or so definitions that you need for the test.

Basically one side of the cards have Jeapardy-style statements (the definition), and the other side has the question. For the most part, unless a term is specifically defined by the EPA or some other governing agency, the question you come up with is going to vary slightly from what is shown on the card.

I bought them thinking that I could keep them in my desk and flip through them whenever I had some down time at work... after looking at them, I didn't even bother taking them to the office.

What did you think of the Civil Engineering in a Flash - 500 card flashcard set? Was it very useful?
I agree with TXengrChickPE. I bought them because they were cheap and the concept had potential. But there really wasn't anything on the exam that studying the cards helped with. I think the cards may be more useful for studying for college exams (200 & 300 level courses). I bought them because they were on sale. Now I know why they were on sale, they weren't moving.

I am waiting for payment for the books as a lot. If the current deal falls through I will post here and PM interested people about any books they are interested in.

I agree with TXengrChickPE. I bought them because they were cheap and the concept had potential. But there really wasn't anything on the exam that studying the cards helped with.
Congrats on being honest! I actually answered the question because I thought that someone who was trying to sell them might be inclined to sugar-coat the truth just to make the sale.

Thank you for the answers! I had been looking at them because a friend who is NOT an engineer suggested them...she's involved in biology, where a set like that would really help. I originally gave her an answer like I really need to crunch numbers, rather than memorize terms. I'm glad to see that's the truth!

Congrats on being honest! I actually answered the question because I thought that someone who was trying to sell them might be inclined to sugar-coat the truth just to make the sale.
I had my middle daughter (age 10) read the questions to me. I was able to answer a lot of them, but after we got through about 20 in each catagory I just gave up and went back to raeding and solving problems. I never did go through the whole box. It would have been better to have questions that drilled you on the basics. Like the basics of: vertical and horizontal curves; culverts etc.

I wouldn't sugar coat. The sample exam trashed my confidence the week before the actual exam. I waited until I though that I had studied just about everything and then took it the weekend before the actual exam. I scored about a 55%! :suicide: I was so bummed going into the actual exam and then was even more bummed when I didn't immediately answer the first question. I felt a lot better after the actual exam and was even a little optimistic, but not confident.

I passed :pASSED2: , but only after a lot of nail biting wating for results :mail-296: .

I had my middle daughter (age 10) read the questions to me. I was able to answer a lot of them, but after we got through about 20 in each catagory I just gave up and went back to raeding and solving problems. I never did go through the whole box. It would have been better to have questions that drilled you on the basics. Like the basics of: vertical and horizontal curves; culverts etc.
I wouldn't sugar coat. The sample exam trashed my confidence the week before the actual exam. I waited until I though that I had studied just about everything and then took it the weekend before the actual exam. I scored about a 55%! :suicide: I was so bummed going into the actual exam and then was even more bummed when I didn't immediately answer the first question. I felt a lot better after the actual exam and was even a little optimistic, but not confident.

I passed :pASSED2: , but only after a lot of nail biting wating for results :mail-296: .
I am interested in the 6 minute solutions for Transportation, Water Resources and Geotech. Let me know if they are still available. Thanks.

Back