Civil PE Exam Review Course - Testmasters vs EET

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geomane

Reaction score
Here is a summary of my current situation:

I have been prepping for the PE Exam (Geotechnical depth) for the past 6 six months and recently found out I was only granted 45 out of the 48 required months of experience. That news was pretty dreadful. I was also enrolled to attend a live course with Testmasters that was scheduled to begin this Thursday. I got in touch with Testmasters and was able to transfer my course credit to the Fall for the October 2016 exam. Today, I received an email that the live course in Birmingham, Alabama has been cancelled due to lack of enrollment. They are offering everyone the option to switch to the web-based class at no additional charge (I believe the web-based class is about $100 more). This news does not really affect me; however, it got me to thinking "will this happen during the scheduled Fall live class?"

So, now I am contemplating on whether I should ask for a refund and plan to use a different review course provider. EET is probably the only alternative I would go with, as I already have notes from the School of PE and PPI for the morning section as well as the geotechnical afternoon. I have read quite a few good reviews about EET on this website; however, I feel most of the reviews are based on the Water Resource depth section. Has anyone had a positive experience using the EET review course for the Geotechnical module of the PE exam?

"will this happen during the scheduled Fall live class?"
It likely will. I've read they the "live" class is almost always canceled with the online class offered in its place. It almost seems like a sales tactic.

Lots of folk here have been happy with EET. I took EET with the WRE depth and was happy to pass.

Last edited by a moderator:
These nation-wide companies (TM, SofPE, etc) ALWAYS cancel the live classes. I'd be curious to hear from anyone who ever actually attended a live class.

EET is the bomb, just go with that. I'm pretty sure Nazrul teaches that, and he is awesome.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can attest that SoPE does in fact teach "live" onsite classes - I have personally taught ~30 of them.

While I am not a spokesman for the company, it has been my experience that they offer live classes in as many places as feasible. However, if the enrollment is too low, then it is not profitable to hold the class and hence the company will cancel the live class. Typically, they will instead offer the student the option to take the online class (sometimes with a second discount for the trouble of the cancellation.)

Now, you may wonder why offer live classes in locations that have nil chance of being held - you never know, sometime a workplaces will send 10+ people and hence it's easy to make the enrollment breakeven figure.

I hope this helps,

Harry

Well, I requested a refund for the Tesmasters course. I am going to try the EET Civil Breadth and Geotechnical Depth webinar classes.

Back