Civil exam / Structural depth preparations

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rawan

Reaction score
Hi everyone , 

i have been studying since July , I took Ondemand school of pe Course ( very good instructors) and I am now studying on my own . 

I want to ask all of you especially the ones that took or preparing to take the PE/ structural depth : are you summarizing every subject in your own words,  , or you just marks up the subjects in your CERM or depth reference book. 

I am not sure if I should summarize the procedures for the solution or not too? 

I feel I am very lost with the preparations between the course refresher notes and the CERM , I feel I am so overwhelmed. 

Please share with me your thoughts or your own experience on how to deal with it .

thanks 

rawan

I did not summarize outside of my references.  If I needed a clarification on something, I wrote it in the CERM or other reference (course handouts, worked problems, etc). Then I tabbed the crap out of things, and tried to color code my tabs to subjects.
The only reason I was thinking to summarize because there is a lot of information out there to a limit that my brain will blow out at any point ! 

Very frustrating but I also believe spending time summarizing the material will be energy and time consuming . 

Thanks 

The only reason I was thinking to summarize because there is a lot of information out there to a limit that my brain will blow out at any point ! 

Very frustrating but I also believe spending time summarizing the material will be energy and time consuming . 

Thanks 
There is a ton of info. That is why I didn't summarize - it would have taken too long, and used up time i could have been solving problems.  Maybe if there are a few key areas you need summarized into your own words that could be useful.  Areas you maybe struggle with more than others?

There is a ton of info. That is why I didn't summarize - it would have taken too long, and used up time i could have been solving problems.  Maybe if there are a few key areas you need summarized into your own words that could be useful.  Areas you maybe struggle with more than others?
You absolutely right , although trying to solve all the problems in the CERM practice problem books is driving me crazy but you are right , this would help me to keep the information better in my brain that trying to summarize everything. 

You should try to keep your notes short and simple. Afterall, you are not going to have endless amounts of times to thoroughly read all your notes to figure out every problem. 

One thing to remember is that you don't need to get every problem correct, and there will be problems you have no clue how to answer,  or just run out of time to attempt. If you summarize notes in depth, you may waste precious time reading the notes, when a quick 4-5 bullet points, or specifically highlighted information could have covered the same material.

You should try to keep your notes short and simple. Afterall, you are not going to have endless amounts of times to thoroughly read all your notes to figure out every problem. 

One thing to remember is that you don't need to get every problem correct, and there will be problems you have no clue how to answer,  or just run out of time to attempt. If you summarize notes in depth, you may waste precious time reading the notes, when a quick 4-5 bullet points, or specifically highlighted information could have covered the same material.
I agree with you ! 

Thats what I decided to do since it’s a lot of information to cover ! . 

Thank you a lot , you always have helpful tips to share 

Back