Civil Construction highest failing score?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The standard for all NCEES exam questions is whether or not a minimally qualified engineer will answer the question properly. Surely each depth is at least slightly different because the expectation for minimally qualified engineers is different. But to say one depth is harder than another as if it's an absolute truth is silly. I'm sure of this: some depths rely more on experience and other depths rely more on education. If you're a minimally qualified engineer in the depth (either because you have enough experience, enough education, or both), it's going to be reasonably easy.

There may also be a difference between the qualitative vs quantitative mix. Some people hate qualitative questions (there may not be a "right" answer, just a "most right") and some people love them.

But to say one depth is harder than another as if it's an absolute truth is silly. I'm sure of this: some depths rely more on experience and other depths rely more on education.

I completely agree.

After witnessing friends and colleagues go through the exam process, there is this misconception that construction is the "easiest" of the depth sections, which is why, I believe, people start to gravitate towards something that may interest them more or that they may have more experience in like WR/E, Trans, or Geotech on their second attempt. Not that I think it is a harder exam, I just think there is much more material within the construction topic than people realize going into the exam.

Unless you create schedules, estimates, have performed material tests outside the classroom and get to witness field operations on a day to day basis or night to night basis; I suggest you seriously consider what depth section you take.

Okay now I completely agree too. I just didn't agree with people saying that construction was "too tough". It really just depends on your experience.

I contacted NCEES and they said they don't have the breakdown for the passing rates by Civil EN depth section available. What a bummer.

How many other options are in Civil for a PE than what is listed below? I'm a EE

Construction

Transportation

Water Resources

Back