Christmas Tree, 2011, real or fake?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What will you have

• Fake

Votes: 16 76.2%
  • Real

Votes: 5 23.8%

• Total voters

Capt Worley PE

Run silent, run deep
Reaction score
Which one? We're bipolar. Right now a fake in the house and a real tree in the front yard.

Fake only. Allergies absolutely cannot handle a real tree.

We typically go fake, but went with a real one this year. Plus we have 2 more real ones decorated in the front yard.

We have a fake one. I don't want to deal with the hassle of going out and buying one every year and then getting rid of it after the holidays.

I voted real, but we actually have 1 real and 2 fake in the house. We still get the real b/c my family used to be in the business, and we still get "the hookup" from our old supplier in NC. Also, we like the smell.

We go with fake since we leave it up for Eastern Orthodox Christmas (7-January) and I think given an extra two weeks, a real one would turn into a torch.

Real, they're great but you can't leave them up too long for the aforementioned reasons.

We always had a fake one growing up and it would occasionally remain up until mid-March...

Real, they're great but you can't leave them up too long for the aforementioned reasons.

We always had a fake one growing up and it would occasionally remain up until mid-March...
Did you do the same with Christmas lights?

We tried doing the real tree thing here for a couple years from a local xmas tree farm...but the trees just sucked. The were basically dead by christmas or were very uneven. Fake tree the last 2 xmases and it is working beautifully. no stepping on random pine needles and no watering!!!!

The key to a real tree is fresh. We cut ours the day after thanksgiving and keep them watered and they are still green and holding their needles after new years. The problem with trees from some lots and other places (lowes, walmart, etc) is that they are cut back in september and shipped around the country.

Real, here in Oregon, we go and cut one down after Thanksgiving, and if you keep water in them, they are fine well after the new year.

Fake is weird, just strange to me, no evergreen smell, you have to dismantle and store it somewhere, and some of them look really lame.

We did real up until this year. With the new federal real tree tax, and putting in hard floors, we are going with fake from now on.

If they get rid of the federal fee for real christmas trees, we might go back.

FAKE!

Fake = $20 spent 10 years ago.

Real = $60 spent every year.

I've saved a lot of money by not purchasing a tree each year.

We did real up until this year. With the new federal real tree tax, and putting in hard floors, we are going with fake from now on.

If they get rid of the federal fee for real christmas trees, we might go back.
The tax didn't go through.

I had a real nice fake tree years ago. Pre-lit, all fiber optic. I think it cost about $300. The ex-fiancee got it in the big breakup (which was a few days before Christmas).

Wow $60? Need to start a Tree Farm in Da Bayou.

$20 this weekend for any tree the guy had on his small farm (about 8 acres).

BTW, how would a 15 cent tax change your mind about a real vs fake tree?
I was wondering the same thing...maybe it is one of those 'standing up for principles' things. I won't shop at a nearby town if possible because I disagree with their high sales taxes that go to programs I dislike. Who knows. To each his own, i guess.

But that tax didn't go through, anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back