CERM Chp 36-Bearing Capacity

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaglacs

Reaction score
I was looking through the BC chapter and noticed that there is a general BC equation for terzaghi-meyerhof in the CERM manual. Shouldn't there be two different equations? Doesn't the Meyerhof take into consideration shape, depth, inclination and BC factors and terzaghi just contain BC factors. The CERM manual seems to have simplified both into one. Should i learn it the way the CERM manual has it or in my Geotech book. I'm taking Water Resources in the afternoon. TIA

I was looking through the BC chapter and noticed that there is a general BC equation for terzaghi-meyerhof in the CERM manual. Shouldn't there be two different equations? Doesn't the Meyerhof take into consideration shape, depth, inclination and BC factors and terzaghi just contain BC factors. The CERM manual seems to have simplified both into one. Should i learn it the way the CERM manual has it or in my Geotech book. I'm taking Water Resources in the afternoon. TIA
I don't think you'll see one of those on the morning session. Stick to properties, embankment problems, maybe even the permeability problems or a lateral earth pressure and you should be fine. Some BC problems get a little hairy for the morning.

IMO, know the general information about each equation. Brifely touch on the differnet factors applied to the eqn, work a couple of simple problems, update your notes and move on.

Back