Carrying References/Books

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sskh1212

Reaction score
How are you guys planning to carry all the books and bound notes etc. to the exam site? Sorry if this question has been asked before.

In VA they won't allow bags, so for those of you planning on using a suitcase, rolling or otherwise, you better make sure it's allowed. Maybe it varies state by state, this I don't know...

Bruno

I took the exam this past October in Fairfax VA and used a roller suitcase. Mine was carry-on sized but I saw some structural folks with two full size rollers. No problems for any of us.

For those of you who have already taken the exam, how many of these references did you actually use? I know you can't predict what references you'll need and it's wise to be prepared for everything. But I would imagine it's better to have and know a few reference really well then to have a bunch that you're only slightly familiar with.

I'm thinking of taking the exam in April 2015 and the though of having a suitcase full of books seems like a lot to me. :dunno:

For those of you who have already taken the exam, how many of these references did you actually use? I know you can't predict what references you'll need and it's wise to be prepared for everything. But I would imagine it's better to have and know a few reference really well then to have a bunch that you're only slightly familiar with.

I'm thinking of taking the exam in April 2015 and the though of having a suitcase full of books seems like a lot to me. :dunno:

I took to much stuff, just like I assume most people did. As I studied I made a binder of all the equations and simple notes I found useful. I used this, and the NEC on I would guess 90% of the problems. Out of the other 10%(roughly 8 questions), two I never found anything useful in any of the references I took. For the other six I used the sample tests, GT Binder each for 2, and the machines book for the other 2.

I think I would have passed with only the NEC and the notebook I made myself. But having the other books for backup did get me a few more points. I skipped any problem I couldnt solve with the NEC/my Notes, and came back to them at the end to make sure I got through all the rest of my problems first.

I took the exam this past October in Fairfax VA and used a roller suitcase. Mine was carry-on sized but I saw some structural folks with two full size rollers. No problems for any of us.
I must have read it wrong. Maybe the note about bags was for PS examinees only. Anyway, if rollers are allowed that is what I'm doing.

Thanks!

Bruno

Back