Can I take California PE exam in other state?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now lets say you want a 3rd license (New Jersey). When you apply for that license (again, filling out the entire application), you would then have to provide your Cali info first (because it's your primary license and represents your examination) and your NY info second (because you got it through comity). If your Cali license is no longer valid, you cannot substitute your NY license as your primary because you did not take an exam for NY. You would then have to re-instate your Cali license (which may include re-taking the exam) in order to complete the New Jersey comity application.
That's news to me (not saying it ain't so, though!). It would present some difficult in management, though, as I'm not aware of any state that verifies licensure differently for those granted a license by comity. Do most comity applications require verification of examination by NCEES directly?

I'd think this issue varies by state - each one may handle the application by comity differently.

I don't believe you the Montana board requires continuous licensure in the state where you took the test this is the case for the Montana board. I'm pretty sure I've seen in their minutes where a person was originally licensed in Montana, got comity somewhere else, let their Montana license lapse, and then applied for comity in Montana years later. But I don't have the time to dig through the state meeting minutes to verify.

I been told a long time ago that if you apply to take the CA PE exam that your result will be only in the CA (paid every application, and all documents that required...plus they might reject). Later on if you pass and you want to transfer your CA PE license to NY that you need to submit everything to NY (paid application fee, working experience, education, photos, and every required documents.... NY board can still reject you because you did not meet the requirement or other issues). However, before you did taking any FE or PE exam that ask before you act.

Last edited by a moderator:
Starting with the October 2010 exam, the NCEES will no longer recognize proctored exams. That means that if you sit for the exam in New York, your results will go to the New York Board.
(http://www.ncees.org/About_NCEES/Licensure_Exchange/Licensure_Exchange/Licensure_Exchange_August_2009.php)

what does it mean?

If I took in CA PE that the result will be on the CA website and I will have the CA PE license number. (That is always this way....if you take your PE exam in A state that your result will be on the A state). I don't see any problem with transfer your license to another states unless you meet the requirement in another state.

Let's say I am a good student that I educated in NY from ABET school. I pass my FE and 4 years design experience in NY. When I want to take my PE exam in NY that all my family must moved to CA or other states. It is just unfair to those people who have to move to another states before they obtain their PE license.

I 100% belived that this NCEES action will ban because this is unconstitutional because the college study for 4 years and 4 years working experience will be only good in your state only. "NCEES limit that you can only get the PE license in your states only"----some people can said if there is a limit that you just simply not take it! But people can set up their goal in senior year in high school by that time they didn't set up limit yet!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Chaocl,

I'm planing to fly from NY to San Diego for PE exam in next Spring, could you give some suggestion for hotels close to tesing location? BTW, what does fiarplex mean?

Thanks!

Yes, to your question.
I did apply CA this summer and took my PE exam in CA (San Deigo - 15 mins walking from hotel to the testing location) this OCt. I currently work in NY (only 2.5 years experiences) However, once you pass your PE that you will still need to wait until you meet your experience in your state and apply to transfer the license to your state (you need to pay application in your state but you don't need to take the PE exam again)...I have 5 to 6 coworkers pass their PE exam in CA and 2 of them already transfer to NY already.

Fairplex is another choice because the hotel is right next to the testing center. You only need take bus for few stop to the airport.

Back