California!

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
3vkrm we all been there dont worry you will pass next time.. You need Reza Mahallati class and book add to it if possible Dr Mansour exam practice books.. If you need more help let me know

Best of luck

Can't wait to see my name in the database ;P

For some reason I don't think it's real yet

Got my letters in rural Colorado today. They should be getting really close for anyone who doesn't have theirs yet.

Sac-PE,

thanks so much for your support and suggestions.

I just went thru Reza's and Mansour's website. Mansour web says that the books for surveying are first edition and are based on Dec 2005 Test plan. Do you think it will be sufficient even for the 2012 test plan?? so What do you think of mansours books ??.

Reza has a class and i may be relocating by july end so i will be far from those locations. Is there any way to replace the class. i mean any nice books out there.

what do you think of Surveying: Principles and Applications Barry Kavanagh (Author), Tom Mastin (Author)

Yes Mansour 1st edition is what I studied from and its sufficient.. You dont need the chapter with subdivision maps and townships coz its no longer required.. I have an extra reza book that I can send you .

As far as Kavanagh book its really good review book and for people who never took a class in surveying in school.

What did it for me is doing the problems over and over so you master them because in the test as I am sure you experienced you dont have the time to even open the books . You need to time your self and take 2. 1/2 hrs practice exams.

Last edited by a moderator:
hello guys, happy to see that you guys passed all the exams and are PEs now
i failed surveying :( .....after i took the exam i felt that the book i read (cumo) is no match for the exam.....in my opinion.

i need you help in studying and passing. i have no idea where to start, what books to use...plz suggest
Hi 3vkrm, I was laid off from my job at the end of Jan, so I spent the better part of 6 weeks preparing for seismic using the online Hiner review. I took the seismic exam first and then spent the next two weeks cramming and using Dr Mansour videos. I feel that the Hiner review was adequate but after the exam I didn't feel confident. I wished that I had reviewed another few methods for setting up problems and Hiner does recommend additional sources that I neglected. For me the survey was easy, but I've been practicing civil for 14 years and much of the problems I found intuitive. I think the key for survey is being quick and utilizing the programmable calculator. For both study methods it was recommended to do all the problems at least there times and that's exactly what I did, maybe even more for seismic. I also found for myself and feel that our biggest challenge as engineers is to pass on problems we're not sure on and move on to something we are proficient at...I think we are stubborn to get an answer by our nature. This certainly stumped me on the seis,ic and I didn't let that happen when I took survey. Anyway, sorry to be long winded..good luck everyone!

Yes Mansour 1st edition is what I studied from and its sufficient.. You dont need the chapter with subdivision maps and townships coz its no longer required.. I have an extra reza book that I can send you .

As far as Kavanagh book its really good review book and for people who never took a class in surveying in school.

What did it for me is doing the problems over and over so you master them because in the test as I am sure you experienced you dont have the time to even open the books . You need to time your self and take 2. 1/2 hrs practice exams.
Sac-PE

thank you so much, I appreciate your kindself in offering me an copy of Reza and I will be grateful to you. i will pay for the shipping ( i think there will an option for receiver to pay the postage or may be i can send you prepaid label like amazon does). i will findout how to send a prepaid label . if u can give me ur email id i can mail label to you

I will purchase Barry kavanagh and work on it.

i just found out that i need to pay the application fees $125 again along with 150$ ca fees and ofcourse 150$ prometric ...thats really awesome. CA can come out of its deficit pretty soon :p .

i failed surveying :( .....after i took the exam i felt that the book i read (cumo) is no match for the exam.....in my opinion.

i need you help in studying and passing. i have no idea where to start, what books to use...plz suggest
Hi 3vkrm, I was laid off from my job at the end of Jan, so I spent the better part of 6 weeks preparing for seismic using the online Hiner review. I took the seismic exam first and then spent the next two weeks cramming and using Dr Mansour videos. I feel that the Hiner review was adequate but after the exam I didn't feel confident. I wished that I had reviewed another few methods for setting up problems and Hiner does recommend additional sources that I neglected. For me the survey was easy, but I've been practicing civil for 14 years and much of the problems I found intuitive. I think the key for survey is being quick and utilizing the programmable calculator. For both study methods it was recommended to do all the problems at least there times and that's exactly what I did, maybe even more for seismic. I also found for myself and feel that our biggest challenge as engineers is to pass on problems we're not sure on and move on to something we are proficient at...I think we are stubborn to get an answer by our nature. This certainly stumped me on the seis,ic and I didn't let that happen when I took survey. Anyway, sorry to be long winded..good luck everyone!
Saltygator

I am sorry to know that u r laidoff. I hope and pray that ull find a better job and great career very soon.

having no expr in surveying, for me exam was like a knockout. they should name the exam differently. its def no just surveying.

for seismic i used hiner and i liked it very well. i even looked at ppi seismic book. but its no way close to hiner's. may be the best thing for you is hiner + going thru the code ASCE 7-05. i did that, i think i nailed the exam.

if u have hiner, u dont have to spend money and time on other books, and plz go thru the code one more time, i think important chapters are 11-15 of ASCE 7-05 and IBC chapter 17 (this we generally neglect, after seeing chapter 16).

i hope i didnot made a horrible assumption that u failed Seismic. If so i am very sorry

Saltygator

I am sorry to know that u r laidoff. I hope and pray that ull find a better job and great career very soon.

having no expr in surveying, for me exam was like a knockout. they should name the exam differently. its def no just surveying.

for seismic i used hiner and i liked it very well. i even looked at ppi seismic book. but its no way close to hiner's. may be the best thing for you is hiner + going thru the code ASCE 7-05. i did that, i think i nailed the exam.

if u have hiner, u dont have to spend money and time on other books, and plz go thru the code one more time, i think important chapters are 11-15 of ASCE 7-05 and IBC chapter 17 (this we generally neglect, after seeing chapter 16).

i hope i didnot made a horrible assumption that u failed Seismic. If so i am very sorry
Hey, thanks very much for the kind words, I think getting laid off from the company I was at was a blessing. I was able to focus on getting the PE in CA. I have one from Florida and moved here 2 years ago but wasn't in any hurry to apply. I did pass both exams and now I 'should' get mine through comity. Hopefully I'll be a bit more attractive candidate. No worries for thinking I didn't pass. I do agree, the exam isn't as much survey as it would seem. Good luck and your persistence WILL pay off.

Finally I got the "GOOD" news. Failed both seismic and survey :beat: .

Did anyone on this forum tried to register in another state than California with passed ncees exam? At least I past that one (structural afternoon).

Not sure if other state would give credit for ncees exam only without having be registered in CA already.

Congratulations to those who passed!!!!!!!!!!!

Good luck next time.. No you need to be registered in California to get registration some where else.

ANNOUNCED MAY 24, 2013 - Results for the April 2013 exams (except for the national structural engineer exams) have been sent to all candidates. Letters confirming licensure are expected to be mailed on Wednesday May 29, 2013. Typically, you will able to discover your license number through License Lookup 48 hours after the letters are mailed. Your wall certificate will sent to you sometime after that. "Like" us on Facebook to receive notification of when they have been sent.

Latest posts

Back