California State Budget

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benbo

Reaction score
I suspect this won't get much response unless there are other California state employee engineers here, but our budget is late as usual. Normally I don't mind, but we are getting anywhere from 11 - 14% raises (pay parity because we are underpaid against other Cali engineers) and it is held up becuase of one lousy vote! I know I should be happy to get the raise, but I also have an outstanding travel claim (a big one) that I can't get until they pass this stupid thing.

11-14%???? Wow, thats pretty damn good. Of course if state employees are underpaid like they are in KY then your still getting shafted.

Illinois's state budget is late too...71 days past due. The temporary budget ran out end of july. According to the comptroller he has missed the deadline for filling payroll for a portion of the state employees because he can't write any checks of any sort until a budget is in place. If there is no budget by the 15th, then it will affect my paycheck...the governors acting like a big baby. He publicly has stated that lawmakers need to compromise, but the very next day he said, again publicly, if what he wants is not in the budget he will veto it... The legislaters are already in special session to hash this out...

You know what's funny ... Florida got its' state budget in on time. But before the ink could even dry on the approved balanced budget, I received the following e-mail :true:

Dear Colleagues:
Based on revenue collections since the March Revenue Estimating Conference, it is anticipated that the revenue for FY 2007-08 will not be enough to support appropriations for this year. The Governor’s Office of Policy and Budget, Senate Fiscal Policy and Calendar Committee, and the House Policy and Budget Council have provided guidance to all agencies regarding projected revenue shortfalls for FY 2007-08. As a result, we are required to do two things: reduce discretionary spending now and submit proposed budget reductions by August 8.

Agencies have been instructed to take action now to reduce discretionary spending such as travel and equipment purchases, fill only essential vacant positions, and postpone the implementation of new or improved programs until the decision on the reductions is final. I have asked the Department's senior management team to take immediate steps to comply with this directive as you make spending decisions. Travel is an obvious area for saving money. You should submit any travel requests 30 days in advance to your supervisor to provide an opportunity for careful consideration of its necessity. Proposed travel such as attendance at conferences and Department meetings that require a number of staff to travel for participation should receive extra scrutiny.

The agency will receive target amounts for both General Revenue and Trust Funds later this month and must develop a plan for meeting the required targets. I have asked senior management to begin thinking about potential reductions in their programs' operating and recurring appropriations.

If you have any suggestions for immediate spending reductions or ideas for the agency's proposed spending reduction plan, please submit them to your management team for consideration. This effort is important and not just another budget reduction "exercise", so I ask you to take it seriously.

Thank you.
benbo ... I hope you get your pay raise. As a fellow regulator, I can emphatical say you are due :)

JR

11-14%???? Wow, thats pretty damn good. Of course if state employees are underpaid like they are in KY then your still getting shafted.
Yes. Originally it was computed that we were somewhere around 30% below the average for engineers in our state. When I got hired my salary was not even 50% of my former position. Our union negotiated raises, so we've been getting raise every year. and salary is approaching decent. It may even be a little higher than some states, but the median home price in my area is over $500K.

You're correct that you should be happy. My state gave most of us a 10% pay CUT this year, regardless of whether we were engineers or not. And then they wonder why there are only 2 PEs in the entire government right now...

^^^ I can recommend you for a PROGRESSIVE Professional Engineer III position in sunny Florida B)

You will be brought in at base salary and you won't ever get a pay raise, but they won't cut your pay :true:

JR

Thats kinda funny that all these state governments can't get a budget approved. I live in the wonderful state of PA (for the time being) and I'm sure everyone has heard (it made the front page of CNN) that the PA government actual;ly went on strike in order to get the budget approved. Granted it was only a day or two but it still had to happen. I just don;t understand why somethings always have to be so political and getting something else passed in with the budget (at least that is what happened in PA). It only hurts the people not the agency. Just my worthless :2cents: though.

Back