California Results Any news???

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I heard about that after I applied in California. It didn't matter, I wouldn't have taken it if I didn't feel qualified. I only started thinking about the PE after a couple of years of experience, and my work starting date made it so I would be eligible to apply after 4.5 years actually (you have to have 4 full years before the application due date, and I was 5 days short). Now I have 4 full years and if I don't pass I'll be close to the NY 5 year requirement, but the application process was such a pain in the ass, that I rather apply for reciprocity and fly to CA again to retake it, then apply anew again and wait for approval. I got my approval back at the end of September, less than a month before the exam. It was a nightmare. 
wow crazy story. I am actually a PE in Texas. After passing the 8 hr I was determined to get a PE and I am originally from Texas so I thought if I ever move back I can use it then. To bad I can not do the reprocity since I need the two additional test in cali.

Ya I was curious if you can take the California specific exams outside of California or do you have to fly in to take them. Also why would you get a PE in cali if you are in NJ? Planning to move out here? you do work out here?
I do a lot of work there, yes. So it will come in handy for that. I do work all over the country so I will probably apply for reciprocity in a bunch of states. 

The 8 hour exam you have to take in California. The rest you can take anywhere. Which doesn't make sense if you ask me. The 8 hour exam is the one that is identical no matter where you take it. The state specific ones are the ones that differ, yet you can take them anywhere. I don't mind tho, who would mind a visit to beautiful California. 

I do a lot of work there, yes. So it will come in handy for that. I do work all over the country so I will probably apply for reciprocity in a bunch of states. 

The 8 hour exam you have to take in California. The rest you can take anywhere. Which doesn't make sense if you ask me. The 8 hour exam is the one that is identical no matter where you take it. The state specific ones are the ones that differ, yet you can take them anywhere. I don't mind tho, who would mind a visit to beautiful California. 
crazy... I would think it the opposite as well.

Now that they are decoupling the NCEES exam from the California application I'd guess that the NCEES exam will be available to test takers in any state.

you got to admit, they have gotten a lot quicker. I remember taking the EIT back in October 2009 and I did not get the results till Mid January.

I guess the shitty thing about it is that almost every other state has there results except us.

So I have a question you seem to be familiar with... I just took the 8 hour PE exam in CA and if I pass I will still need the 2 state exams to be a PE in Cali, but I am possibly moving to Colorado in Early 2017. So in the state of CO you need 4 years of experience to be a PE, my 4 year mark would be June of 2017. Will I be able to transfer my 8 hour exam to Colorado and be a PE once I move? And how difficult is it to get this done?

So I have a question you seem to be familiar with... I just took the 8 hour PE exam in CA and if I pass I will still need the 2 state exams to be a PE in Cali, but I am possibly moving to Colorado in Early 2017. So in the state of CO you need 4 years of experience to be a PE, my 4 year mark would be June of 2017. Will I be able to transfer my 8 hour exam to Colorado and be a PE once I move? And how difficult is it to get this done?
Once you've passed the 8 hour exam, you're done with it.  You don't need to re-take it for every state in which you wish to be licensed.  Check CO's application process.  Likely you'll only have to submit a verification of taking and passing the exam.

you got to admit, they have gotten a lot quicker. I remember taking the EIT back in October 2009 and I did not get the results till Mid January.
That certainly puts it in perspective! Although, the FE exam is now CBT and offered more months of the year that not these days... Imagine if the PE exam had seen that type of development in that same period of time! That would be pretty crazy.

I think this depends on the state, but I know NJ allows you to do this, as long as you still meet the requirements in NJ. They'll just require you to get some kind of proof from CA/NCEES showing that you passed the 8-hour exam. (The person I spoke to at NJ specifically said a printout or screenshot of your NCEES test page showing pass will not be allowed).

I know a former boss of mine did that. He could not pass the two cali exams but as soon as he moved to Colorado he was able to get his PE but he had the experience. I think all you have to do is fill out the app with references and have NCEES send the results to Colorado and you are golden.

I believe the answer to this is yes. 

There is technically no reciprocity between states that I'm aware of; my understanding is that the NCEES 8-hour exam is the sole nationally recognized exam. Once passed all you need do is fulfill the rest of the requirements for the state in which you are applying for licensure. For example: seismic/survey for civil engineers in CA but only 2 years experience. 4 years experience in Oregon but no additional testing. 

way back in the day you didn't get results until a month before the next exam. If you took the exam in April you didn't get reuslts until sept.  You had to apply for refile and study until you go notification.  Then the board would refund your application fee if you passed. So I much prefer this.

Yes, you will be. You have to look at the state requirements to know if you'll have to wait til the 4 year mark to apply. I'm assuming each state has different requirements. As far as the difficulty goes, each state is different as well. For example, you know the California application was a breeze - you were literally limited to 2-3 lines per project to describe your role and experience. They didn't want you to write more. For New York, the application is insane. I've seen people's applications and they literally wrote a page for each project they worked on. The process was the same for reciprocity. They are really strict in New York, my coworker said that he was considering just retaking the exam in NY because of how much of a pain in the ass it had been getting reciprocity. Colorado might be different.

So yes, general idea you can get a license. How difficult it may be will depend on the state. 

Once you've passed the 8 hour exam, you're done with it.  You don't need to re-take it for every state in which you wish to be licensed.  Check CO's application process.  Likely you'll only have to submit a verification of taking and passing the exam.

I think this depends on the state, but I know NJ allows you to do this, as long as you still meet the requirements in NJ. They'll just require you to get some kind of proof from CA/NCEES showing that you passed the 8-hour exam. (The person I spoke to at NJ specifically said a printout or screenshot of your NCEES test page showing pass will not be allowed).
thanks guys, so what if i were to move prior to my 4 year mark (say 3 months before my 4 year mark)... would i have to use 3 months of working experience in CO to be eligible for the PE license in CO? 

Just got back word from contact... Not to day they are shooting for Thursday DAMN!!!

"[SIZE=11pt]We are shooting for Thursday. [/SIZE]"

Back