California PE Stamps

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheLoneStarEngineer

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I was trying to get a stamp and found two separate designs on a website. Are both of these acceptable designs? I haven't found much information on whether the "Bear" stamp is legit.

image.png

I think this needed to go in the "After you Pass the Exam" forum. I don't see an option to do so. If any of the admins can move this thread to its rightful place, I'll appreciate it. Thanks!

Hey Guys,

I was trying to get a stamp and found two separate designs on a website. Are both of these acceptable designs? I haven't found much information on whether the "Bear" stamp is legit.

View attachment 19169
As long as the seal meets the minimum requirements described in Board Rule 411, you're good to go.  Make sure your name matches what you've provided to the Board.  No abbreviations unless that's how it is officially recorded with the Board.  Link to Board Rules https://bpelsg.ca.gov/laws/boardrules.pdf

BTW, Bear seal is really cool - wish I had that on mine.

As long as the seal meets the minimum requirements described in Board Rule 411, you're good to go.  Make sure your name matches what you've provided to the Board.  No abbreviations unless that's how it is officially recorded with the Board.  Link to Board Rules https://bpelsg.ca.gov/laws/boardrules.pdf

BTW, Bear seal is really cool - wish I had that on mine.
Where did you find that bear seal to order from?

Where did you find that bear seal to order from?
Its on PEstamps.com

I thought it was really cool too but wanted to make sure that the city officials reviewing drawings take me seriously with the bear and its not in disagreement with any board rules. Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been thinking to get the bear stamp, too! Mainly because I have the one without the bear, but my name has changed (yes, I have registered the name change with the Board) since I got my license and my stamp...

Wow the bear stamp is cool! I didn't know you can have that as I have never seen that anywhere before.

I wonder, however, if it is professional enough since no one has seen it? Would it be accepted? I see that it technically does but would someone question it?

I hope it catches on to throw in come cool symbol representing the state in some way. I know the seals are not really supposed to be something elaborate but I feel like some state seals all look the same.

Wow the bear stamp is cool! I didn't know you can have that as I have never seen that anywhere before.

I wonder, however, if it is professional enough since no one has seen it? Would it be accepted? I see that it technically does but would someone question it?
I know several people that have in CA

I hope it catches on to throw in come cool symbol representing the state in some way. I know the seals are not really supposed to be something elaborate but I feel like some state seals all look the same.
There are other states that have graphics like WA, etc.

I don't think people would ridicule a stamp looking like that. I know that if I saw that on someone's drawings, I would think it is pretty neat!

And yeah, I remember looking through other states' stamps once upon a time... I think WY and LA had fun ones with animals? I could be remembering incorrectly though!

I don't think people would ridicule a stamp looking like that. I know that if I saw that on someone's drawings, I would think it is pretty neat!

And yeah, I remember looking through other states' stamps once upon a time... I think WY and LA had fun ones with animals? I could be remembering incorrectly though!
It would be nice for all the jurisdictions to have something interesting on their stamps; here's a sample (taken from APEGA's authentication guidelines) of what we have up in Alberta, Canada with a beaver representing the engineering profession...

image.png

I was looking into this further and decided to ask the board for their buy-off on that bear stamp.  Here is their response: 

Our laws do not prohibit licensees from adding graphics to their engineering stamps as long as the added information does not misrepresent their license status.  We caution licensees to make sure that they are not using a graphic that may be protected by a copyright.

The stamp you provided does not violate our laws and/or regulations. 
Sounds like you could even create your own logos, although getting it on a stamp may be difficult... but I will be ordering that bear stamp from PEstamps!

I was looking into this further and decided to ask the board for their buy-off on that bear stamp.  Here is their response: 

Sounds like you could even create your own logos, although getting it on a stamp may be difficult... but I will be ordering that bear stamp from PEstamps!
bear stamp FTW...its is too dope

The New York stamp contains the Great Seal of New York in the center.  It's pretty cool but way to much detail to actually be rendered on the engraved stamp.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seal_of_New_York_(state) 
Maybe if you have a good graphic design using a digital seal it would show. But in my experience, the ink stamps do not come out very detailed with the seal. It is pretty much just the outline of the two women, the shield, and the eagle.

Back