Calculating Shear on a Circular Section

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigwolf

Shall I call you Logan, Weapon X???
Reaction score
Just curious if anyone can help out with this.....

I've got a 5" diameter beam with a uniform load on it. NDS Equ 3.4-1 (pg 15) says fv = VQ/(Ib)

I've got V and I = pi*d^4/64

Here's the question----b is defined as "breadth (thickness) of rectangular bending member" on NDS pg 5 --> yet this notation is specifically used in the Equ 3.4-1 ????

In this instance is "b" just going to be the diameter of the section or is there some other reference I am missing for "b" of a circular cross section.

Also, Q is defined as "statical moment of an area about the neutral axis" -->my school days have long since escaped me--is there a formula for this for a circular cross section?

Thanks in adance! :reading:

Just curious if anyone can help out with this.....
I've got a 5" diameter beam with a uniform load on it. NDS Equ 3.4-1 (pg 15) says fv = VQ/(Ib)

I've got V and I = pi*d^4/64

Here's the question----b is defined as "breadth (thickness) of rectangular bending member" on NDS pg 5 --> yet this notation is specifically used in the Equ 3.4-1 ????

In this instance is "b" just going to be the diameter of the section or is there some other reference I am missing for "b" of a circular cross section.

Also, Q is defined as "statical moment of an area about the neutral axis" -->my school days have long since escaped me--is there a formula for this for a circular cross section?

Thanks in adance! :reading:
Shear stress incircular timber beams is the same as regular timber beams

fv = 1.5 v/bd

b is the width of the beam and d is the depth of the beam

The only difference is including the curvature factor Cc for bending stress in Glulam Beams

Shear stress incircular timber beams is the same as regular timber beamsfv = 1.5 v/bd

b is the width of the beam and d is the depth of the beam

The only difference is including the curvature factor Cc for bending stress in Glulam Beams
Actually this is not correct. Shear stress is a function of the section properties; therfore the distribution of shear stress will be different. For rectangtluar sections max shear works out to 1.5V/A for circular sections its 4/3(V/A). Check a any strength of materials text to see for yourself.

Actually this is not correct. Shear stress is a function of the section properties; therfore the distribution of shear stress will be different. For rectangtluar sections max shear works out to 1.5V/A for circular sections its 4/3(V/A). Check a any strength of materials text to see for yourself.

Thanks for the replys--I was on the same track as you, but was having a hard time finding my stregth of materials book. :beerchug:

I think I missunderstood your question.

I thought you mean circular laminated wooden beam with rectangle cross section.

Back