Bridge Engineers or Highway Engineers?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slugger926

Reaction score
My company is working on penetrating the bridge repair and remediation market by doing carbon fiber reinforcement of bridges and concrete bridges to extend their life.  Our wraps have a 110 KSI yield, and the market seems really large for the applications.  Does anyone know who we can talk to about doing a demo for a bridge repair?  It could mean that I get to fly out and meet some of you.

http://cittech.com

we did 2 bridges with carbon fiber wraps back when I was in Atlanta (Cobb County)  supposedly we were supposed to get 10 more years out of them, but the cost was still around $100K for each bridge..

If you want to look at some that have been done the bridge I remember was John Ward Road Bridge (somewhere there is a video of me explaining carbon fiber wraps to the public)

I think you have to find which municipalities around the country are open to trying new technologies (although we did this back in 2009) from what I can tell here in Colorado everyone including the state just waits until the bridge is about to collapse before doing any maintenance at all..No one here even paints the steel beams..

The problem that we had with our fiber wraps was every 2 years Ga DOT inspects all bridges in the state and they didn't raise the rating on the bridges due to the fiber wrap, some states may, but IMO as a former "County Engineer" what they care about is extending the bridge life and getting the rating raised so I would factor that into your salespitch..

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the reply.  It helps me understand a little more from the customer perspective.  We can fiber wrap the boulders up there in Colorado to protect them from the hazards of climate change. :)

CDOT could put some fiber wrapping on the I-70 Viaduct and save over a billion.. @cement  !!!!!  (Don't tell my current company I said that though)

:)

It would still be a huge project to do fiber wrapping.  We just supply the product, and certify installers.  Your company could still manage all of that, and provide the tax payers a savings.

Some states, and the Federal Government has Value Engineering laws where if you know how to do the paperwork, and give the public a savings with the same value, you get to split the savings.  For some reason, I have a feeling only insiders ever get approved to split the savings.  I would be willing to split $500M with you.

Last edited by a moderator:
CDOT could put some fiber wrapping on the I-70 Viaduct and save over a billion.. @cement  !!!!!  (Don't tell my current company I said that though)
hmmn, I've got a project fiber wrapping I-70 over Tennyson and Sheridan....

@Road Guysomebody I know leaves graffitti on the whiteboards at HQ to the effect of bridge costs versus big dig west costs

Back