Books for surveying

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
P

purduegrad

Can anyone help me with any references for the surveying part of the morning exam. Those horizontal veritcal curve questions really through for a loop last test. Can anyone help me get my BEARING on the morning transpo.

purdue --

I never took a surveying or transportation class, so I was terrified at this aspect of the exam.

When it came to preparing for horizontal and vertical curves, I put together a my own personalized compendium of formulae and common problem setups that I could use to solve horizontal and vertical curves. I then set myself to one solid week (say 40 hrs) of working through the mechanics of the formulae and problems. I found the biggest obstacle was just understanding the setup and nomenclature for the problems. Once I became familiarized with those terms, the equations were pretty standardized and it was a matter of using the right equation for the right situation.

I got my information from a few different sources: CERM, US Navy Engineer Aides Manual, Chelapati Workbook, etc. I think I have my pages digitized - would you be interested in seeing them ?? If so, I will post them.

JR

I can scan a few good summary pages of horizontal & vertical curves (remind me if I dont by the end of the week)

or pm me your email address & a reminder.

I took a lot of survey classes so it wasnt a big stress issue to me like some other areas were.

I did take the "Land Surveyor Reference Manual" its a PPI book, but its written in very easy to understand terms, I actually use that book at work from time to time, unlike the CERM

but the bearing thing is pretty simple, just always remember you need to convert from HMS to Degrees or vice versa depending on how the information is given.

I always draw a N-S-E-E diagram to help me, especialluy stuff I forget like if its N-30-E, that the degrees always comes from the vertical axis (then I draw a picture to help me)

Also the NCEES FE handbook for civil (the link is in the "links" section) has a real nice curve sheet that has some good formulas in it as well.

Latest posts

Back