Best Resourse to bring for Hydraulics and Geo (Transportation Depth)

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zeteckat101

Reaction score
I'm curious to know the best resources to bring for the Hydraulics (water) and geo sections of the PE when taking the Transportation depth. As of right now, I have my college text books. Does anyone have any suggestions on decent books that I can bring? Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm curious to know the best resources to bring for the Hydraulics (water) and geo sections of the PE when taking the Transportation depth. As of right now, I have my college text books. Does anyone have any suggestions on decent books that I can bring? Thank you!

Yeah I need to know because Geotech kicked my ass!!! I got a 12% everything else I got 65%-100%. Yeah I barley failed only because I never took geotech in school.

Yeah I need to know because Geotech kicked my ass!!! I got a 12% everything else I got 65%-100%. Yeah I barley failed only because I never took geotech in school.
Were you taking the Transpo exam?

I took the transpo exam, I did take geotech classes in school, but I found by the time I got around to studying for the test I had forgotten much of it. If you hadn't already you may want to look into the 6 minute solutions for geotech or the accompanying sample problem book for the CERM. I worked the problems in the accompanying problem manual ( I can't remember the exact title and I've since loaned my copy out). I felt that did a good job of preparing me for the exam. I wasn't even using a current edition for the problem manual.

Were you taking the Transpo exam?
I took the transpo exam, I did take geotech classes in school, but I found by the time I got around to studying for the test I had forgotten much of it. If you hadn't already you may want to look into the 6 minute solutions for geotech or the accompanying sample problem book for the CERM. I worked the problems in the accompanying problem manual ( I can't remember the exact title and I've since loaned my copy out). I felt that did a good job of preparing me for the exam. I wasn't even using a current edition for the problem manual.

I used the Geotech 6min solutions, but I only did the breadth sections of it not all of it. I am pretty sure that was not enough for me. DId you do the depth section as well of the Geotech 6min?

I didn't have any of the 6min solution books, so I can't say much from personal experience. I have just heard that they are a good resource in general.

I took the transpo exam. All I used for the geotech problems was the CERM (10th edition) and a copy of the accompanying practice problems (7th edition). I had taken a geotech class in school, but when studying I found that I had forgotten most of it.

I think the Practice Problems for the Civil Engineering PE Exam : A Companion to the Civil Engineering Reference Manual had problems that were much more difficult then the actual problems on the exam, but they incorporated much of the subject material into one problem. After working and comprehending those problems I felt very confident on my exam.

I didn't have any of the 6min solution books, so I can't say much from personal experience. I have just heard that they are a good resource in general.
I took the transpo exam. All I used for the geotech problems was the CERM (10th edition) and a copy of the accompanying practice problems (7th edition). I had taken a geotech class in school, but when studying I found that I had forgotten most of it.

I think the Practice Problems for the Civil Engineering PE Exam : A Companion to the Civil Engineering Reference Manual had problems that were much more difficult then the actual problems on the exam, but they incorporated much of the subject material into one problem. After working and comprehending those problems I felt very confident on my exam.

Sweet I will get a copy of it for the april exam.

I used my soils / geotech text from college and thought it covered the material much better than the CERM. It was written by Dr. Das.

I used my soils / geotech text from college and thought it covered the material much better than the CERM. It was written by Dr. Das.
I would recommend using the CERM 11th for both Water Resources and Geotech and the Companion Practice Problem book. If you study all the chapters, and do the practice problems this should prep you well. I also did the "breadth" 6 minute solutions for Geotech and Water - I feel like this prepared me enough. Last of all, try to do the Geotech/Water problems from Lindenburg's Sample Exam - that should be icing on the cake.

Back