Best Geotech book for selfstudy and PE Exam

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeR

Reaction score
What is the best book to teach oneself Soil Mechanics for the Civil PE exam? I don't have a Civil Engineering degree but need a Civil PE for my work. I have a Mechanical Engineering degree but I also do civil related work. I am looking at Geotechnical books by the following authors:

- Soil Mechanics and Foundations by Muniram Budhu

- Principles of Geotechnical Engineering by Braja M. Das

- Geotechnical Engineering: Principles and Practices by Donald P. Coduto

- Analysis and Design by Joseph E. Bowles

Any recommendations from the above books or any other books would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike.

What is the best book to teach oneself Soil Mechanics for the Civil PE exam? I don't have a Civil Engineering degree but need a Civil PE for my work. I have a Mechanical Engineering degree but I also do civil related work. I am looking at Geotechnical books by the following authors:

Any recommendations from the above books or any other books would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike.

I use Das and Corduto's texts. I also recommend NAVFAC Design Manuals 7.1 (Soil Mechanics), 7.2 (Foundations and Earth Structures), and 7.3 Soil Dynamics.

Thanks,

Mike.
What is your selection for Depth?

I use Das and Corduto's texts. I also recommend NAVFAC Design Manuals 7.1 (Soil Mechanics), 7.2 (Foundations and Earth Structures), and 7.3 Soil Dynamics.
I don't have a civil engineering degree. I do some work realted to foundations. I was thinking of doing Geotech or Transportation. I have not made a selection. But whatever I pick, I will have to start with the basics given my background.

Mike.

I don't have a civil engineering degree. I do some work realted to foundations. I was thinking of doing Geotech or Transportation. I have not made a selection. But whatever I pick, I will have to start with the basics given my background.
Mike.
You would do well to learn the Das, anyone can teach you settlement and stresses beneath foundations, and then read the Lindeburg for special topics. In my opinion. But I'm wrong all the time.

:sharkattack:

Mike.
You would do well to learn the Das, anyone can teach you settlement and stresses beneath foundations, and then read the Lindeburg for special topics. In my opinion. But I'm wrong all the time.

das is very simply written and easy to understand in most parts. I think das should be read first then if wish can go in other book for more depth and complex issues.

Mike.

das is very simply written and easy to understand in most parts. I think das should be read first then if wish can go in other book for more depth and complex issues.
oh yes and the six minute solution is absolute necessary. the best way to prepare a topic is to start solving the problem. after solving the problem most times the theory becomes more clear to understand.

Back