Being held back...

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McEngr

Reaction score
Hello all.

I don't want to beat a dead horse already, but I've noticed a serious trend in my supervisor that is disturbing to me...

Today, he told me of a job that I need to start on and described it as a skewed building that needed to match a property line so it was a triangular-shaped building. Well, after opening the file, I realized that it wasn't the building at all. It was a building shear masonry shearwalls and funky architectural canopies. I told him a few moments later that that building was not the one that he described. His Chinese is much stronger than his English, obviously, because he went on to say, "Oh, I understand. That building is too difficult for you. :) ." I let it go, but it didn't go without its damage. I am at a lose as to how I can convince him that I'm capable of doing even the mildest of complex projects. He has written me off as incompetent and it's doing damage to my ego because I worked at a company a few years back where I was doing work that was 10 times more complex. I've told myself that I would commit to this place for 3 years (verbally to the owner as well). I am finding myself less and less enthused to do design work becuase I can't get through a job without trying to explain the reasons why I designed it a certain way. This Chinese man (honestly, it's not a racial issue - more so a language issue that I'm upset about) is a dictator that wants it his way because this company has had all their designs go through 1 PE for 30 years and it's "Not gonna change, Ryan."

I feel like quitting about every other day. Is this normal? Should I sacrifice my integrity with this company (due to the verbal 3 year commit)? I'm only 1 1/2 years into this job, and I'm looking at job openings everyday but fearful of taking the plunge.

Any comments would be welcome.

Thanks,

Ryan

The street goes both ways. Unless you signed a contract you are an employee at will. That means they can fire you for any reason at any time.

When you committed to 3-yrs, what promises did the company make to you? Type of work, advancement? If they aren't delivering, I would get out. If you are really concerned about your commitment, go talk to the owner. Say you aren't happy and are going to look for another job, but want to give them plenty of time to find a replacement so they aren't short handed and unable to meet client's needs.

Last edited by a moderator:
McEngr: sorry but from your post I can't understand what your complaining about? The guy gave you a building to design that he didn't describe very well. Can you design it? If so, then do it. Is it out of your range? If so, get some assistance. Is the Chinese guy the engineer that is going to review/stamp it? Then you have to do it his way. If you're going to stamp then do it your way.

Did this guy take the project away from you because you asked a question?

Sorry, I just can't follow or see what the situation is?

IMHO, regardless of any verbal "commitment" to stay for 3 years, if you can't work effectively then you would be doing yourself and the company a favor by moving on.

McEngr: sorry but from your post I can't understand what your complaining about? The guy gave you a building to design that he didn't describe very well. Can you design it? If so, then do it. Is it out of your range? If so, get some assistance. Is the Chinese guy the engineer that is going to review/stamp it? Then you have to do it his way. If you're going to stamp then do it your way.
Did this guy take the project away from you because you asked a question?

Sorry, I just can't follow or see what the situation is?

IMHO, regardless of any verbal "commitment" to stay for 3 years, if you can't work effectively then you would be doing yourself and the company a favor by moving on.
MA_PE,

His comment was a complete misunderstanding of what I was asking: I asked, "Hey, is this the building that you intended for me to design?" His immediate response was, "Oh, that one will be too difficult for you." It clearly wasn't, but it was a quick response that wasn't thought out before spewing it. It revealed his true impression of me, and I can't figure out why it's that way. You are correct - he stamps everything because that's just the way it is. They were quite upset when I asked for a minimum raise of $5k for getting my PE. That put me at the 25% for civil/structural PE's in my area. At that time, I told them that I would leave if they didn't honor the raise. They told me, "Your stamp is in "x-state", not Oregon." I told them that it would be easy to transfer by comity - NOTHING BUT BLANK STARES! It was the only thing that the highschool-graduate owner could muster as a defense for no raise for the PE. At that point, the writing was on the wall.

Ryan

Sounds like you've got a bad work environment going. I'd get the hell out, and wouldn't think twice about backing out on a verbal commitment. I'm sure they wouldn't think twice about sending you down the road tomorrow if the market suddenly took a turn for the worst and they needed to cut back. I believe that your word is important, but employment is a two way street and it doesn't sound like they're living up to their end of the bargain as far as you are concerned.

"Sounds like you've got a bad work environment going. I'd get the hell out, and wouldn't think twice about backing out on a verbal commitment. I'm sure they wouldn't think twice about sending you down the road tomorrow if the market suddenly took a turn for the worst and they needed to cut back. I believe that your word is important, but employment is a two way street and it doesn't sound like they're living up to their end of the bargain as far as you are concerned."

There was no offer. Their indication was that their offer was contingent upon my 3 year commitment.

If you didn't sign anything then don't worry about it. A lot of places expect you to retire from there no matter what.

If you didn't sign anything then don't worry about it. A lot of places expect you to retire from there no matter what.
DIAZ, I am more concerned about my perception than anything. I've not left a job on bad terms. EVER. I just don't want to screw the company - my faith won't let me. Perhaps you can convince me to do otherwise. Am I nuts?

DIAZ, I am more concerned about my perception than anything. I've not left a job on bad terms. EVER. I just don't want to screw the company - my faith won't let me. Perhaps you can convince me to do otherwise. Am I nuts?

screwing the company would be calling in on morning and telling them where to send your last check. As long as you give them notice you should feel bad.

Ryan,

If there is no written contract you are free to move whenever you want. My first job on the states I had an agreement with my employer to stay at least two years. That was because relocation expenses they paid. But it was specified that if I left in less than two years I had to pay them the relocation expenses they spent on me.

Your case is different. You have no written agreement and, OK, I understand a man's word is important, but looks like they are not doing their part of the deal. I mean, you are an Engineer, a P.E. These facts command respect and your boss' comments were un-professional. You have to listen to the people working for you. As a supervisor you cannot always have the last and only word. He had to listen and ask you what was the problem/point/issue/whatever. That was the right thing to do. Period.

Guys like that make me want to bring the "Old Luis" back. In that case I would advice to you: I will hold him, you hit him. :) But that is not what my faith, same problem....????, ask us to do. They are not respecting you so you don't have moral obligation anymore. Your obligation is with you as an Engineer and a Pro and to your family. Take it from me. I have had my experiences. If you are not happy your productivity will be affected and also your confidence in yourself. That is worst than breaking a verbal agreement.

I will include you in my prayers my friend. Be wise.

Thanks for the prayers, Luis. The "old" Ryan would've left long ago, but I also have to reconcil this with my wife. She's a very opinionated believer. She has me pinned on my promise more than anything. She is concerned about how my character will be reflected on so many people. It's a tough issue, that's for sure!

Thanks for the prayers, Luis. The "old" Ryan would've left long ago, but I also have to reconcil this with my wife. She's a very opinionated believer. She has me pinned on my promise more than anything. She is concerned about how my character will be reflected on so many people. It's a tough issue, that's for sure!
I don't understand the "promise". If they're not paying you what you're worth then I'd suggest you interview, get an offer and then let them put up or shut up. Also, if you're in OR and need a PE there, then you should put up or shut up and get your PE by comity in OR (obviously at your own expense) and put that issue to bed.

I wish you the best whatever you decide,

You don't have to be a nice guy in business or even to be a Christian (America has perverted this).

It is okay for these guys to oppress you with their attitudes and not paying raises due, but they will be upset if you leave when they broke their word first.

I would say leave for something better.

Us PE's need to learn to stand up for ourselves and our proffesion. How many jobs are being exported to illegal engineering because we haven't been enforcing our engineering laws like we should?

At first your wife may not like you standing up for yourself or what is right, but if you don't eventually she will see you as not standing up for her or your familly which could result in disaster. Stand up for yourself by finding a different job, and your familly will be better off.

Business is business.

If whatever they promised you isn't in writing, they may never honor it... most people in business are no longer men of their words.

Just my two cents.

-Ray

At first your wife may not like you standing up for yourself or what is right, but if you don't eventually she will see you as not standing up for her or your familly which could result in disaster. Stand up for yourself by finding a different job, and your familly will be better off.
Slugger,

Well stated. I could not have found a better way to express what I was thinking. :plusone:

McEngr,

I wish you well with what is obviously a conflicted situation for you. :th_rockon:

JR

You have a reasonable expectation of a civil work environment. They are not fulfilling thier side of the deal. The deal is broken.

Now put an egg in your shoe and beat it! (with proper notice, an opportunity to better your new employer's offer, etc)

Life is too short to hate going to work every day.

You have a reasonable expectation of a civil work environment. They are not fulfilling thier side of the deal. The deal is broken.
Now put an egg in your shoe and beat it! (with proper notice, an opportunity to better your new employer's offer, etc)

Life is too short to hate going to work every day.
Thanks for the comments guys. I have had two offers in the last 3 months. Both have written e-mails to me inquiring again if my situation changes. Job security is not an issue, but I honestly can't stand my boss. I obtained the $5k raise. However, I'm still told, "Ryan, your PE in 'x-state' still doesn't help us." I've told them that I can obtain it in Oregon within a few months, but they aren't willing to pay it yet. They say that they will continue to go through one manager for jobs going out, so I now have to "prove" my $5k raise. I'm not a bad employee. I don't make a lot of mistakes. I simply do my job in the pigeon hole that they've put me in. I'm just biding my time until things get too bad to stay.

McEngr,

The reason you feel guilty about looking is that you actually are a better person than who you work for. Don't feel bad about getting the heck out of dodge.

It's too bad you live in OR, I could get you a job in a heartbeat at my company.

Ryan,

You need to just pony up the money to get your PE, and then start shopping around for a new job. After all I have read so far, it sounds like your boss is not someone I would want to work for, and it sounds like you are not too happy. 1.5 years is enough to know - I say cut your losses and get the hell out. Don't feel bad about paying your own comity application fees - it's an investment.

Back