Barnes & Noble: The Final Chapter?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Capt Worley PE

Run silent, run deep
Reaction score
The last nationwide book retailer may be writing its final chapter. Barnes & Noble's (BKS) latest quarterly sales results show a lack of foot traffic in the stores and an absence of management focus on retail that foreshadows a disappointing end for the company's 675 stores and perhaps its entire existence.

This morning the company reported a 7.4% drop in revenues and a $122 million loss for the fourth-quarter of its fiscal year. For the full year Barnes & Noble earned a mere $10 million, compared to $177 million in 2012.

B&N's disastrous focus on making Nook e-Readers is weighing heavily on the chain's operations. A 17% drop in Nook revenues and stunning $475 million loss for the device division in 2013 are hobbling the company's ability to keep its stores afloat in an increasingly tough environment for bricks and mortar stores.

http://finance.yahoo.com/blogs/breakout/barnes-noble-final-chapter-151038001.html

I'd better spend my BN gift card before they go bankrupt. Thing is I have a hard time finding $50 worth of stuff I want from there.

I can't remember the last time I bought something from a brick and mortar new book store.

Amazon resellers FTW!

Only reason I ever step foot in one is to let Junior browse through the kids section since it's right down the street, attached to the mall.

Haven't been in one in a long time, and most of the people in there are usually just pulling a book and reading it on the floor in the isle anyways. Just like a library, but with newer material.

Ours is crowded, but only because there's a Starbucks in it.

The Nook was on super discount last weekend. Almost went for it...but thought about owning a piece of technology that would be tied to a failing store and decided against it.

We like to go to ours and buy books there, but I mostly buy them via Amazon.

does the nook do anything other than just books? Like internet stuff?

I prefer paper when it comes to books. I tried reading books on the kindle and I just don't like it.

The nook is like a kindle fire. It has Google Play and all that jazz. Maybe I'm jaded because my iPod touch is a brick that can't get new apps because the OS can't be updated. (coughneveragain,Applecoughcough).

I prefer paper when it comes to books. I tried reading books on the kindle and I just don't like it.
I believe it does. My wife has a nook (I have no experience with it) and I believe that she can check email, etc. with it. FWIW she loves it and reads books on it constantly.

I don't....reading is for fags.

Last edited by a moderator:
Each of my kids have Nooks, as does my wife. The kids can download apps, they watch movies via Netflix, you can even upload digital copies of movies. My wife's Nook is just the basic original black & white version designed only for books, but the kids have the full color HD versions which are essentially iPads.

The Nook was on super discount last weekend. Almost went for it...but thought about owning a piece of technology that would be tied to a failing store and decided against it.

We like to go to ours and buy books there, but I mostly buy them via Amazon.

The Nook is also one of the more easily modded tablets (though its hardware is getting a bit dated). The default OS can be wiped and loaded with a newer version of Android. It can then be configured any way you care to use it.

I don't....reading is for fags.
:lmao:

Back