BA-BOOOMMMMM!!

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dleg

Spammer Emeritus
Reaction score
A couple of weeks ago, I attended one of the many, regularly-scheduled detonations of old WWII unexploded ordnance, here on the island of Saipan where I live.

Ordinarily, the Navy comes up here and detonates UXO maybe two to four times per year. It all just depends on how much UXO is turned up during the intervening time period, most often by active construction projects. But right now, there is a project going on, being managed by my office, to actively clear an area that had been used by the US Navy to stockpile ammunition for the invasion of Japan. Since that never happened, and it would have cost a fortune to return the stuff to the US, the Navy just decided to leave the stuff here. They blew some of it up, buried some of it, and generally did a poor job of cleaning up after themselves. So here we are, 65 years later, still turning up tons of the stuff.

This detonation was scheduled to coincide with the EPA Pacific Islands Environmental Conference, last month here in Saipan. Lots of EPA Region 9 folks were in attendance. The acting administrator for Region 9 was given the honor of pressing the button to detonate the shot. It was pretty funny to hear her shouting "fire in the hole! fire in the hole!" before doing it. I heard she was shaking after it was done, from all the excitement. The shockwave was pretty impressive

From what I understand, there was about 2000 lbs of UXO, and something like 500 lbs of C-4 used to detonate it on this shot. I showed up just in time for the detonation, only, and got to watch it from the top of "Suicide Cliff". My wife was there the whole afternoon, and took all the pictures:

Some of the ordnance that has been collected recently. Note the clean 105mm howitzer shell, with paint as fresh as the day it left the munitions factory (it was found still in its shipping tube):

uxo2009019.jpg

Mortar and bazooka rounds:

uxo2009018.jpg

American and Japanese grenades (the Japanese grenades are supposedly one of the most unstable UXO types out here):

uxo2009023.jpg

Stockpile of UXO for next time....

uxo2009028.jpg

This is called "Boom Cave", where the Navy supposedly just bulldozed several hundred tons of ordnance after the war. We aren't cleaning this site up yet - this was just a stop on the tour.

uxo2009040.jpg

The Navy EOD team preparing the shot. That is a LOT of C-4:

uxo2009012.jpg

BA-BOOOM! The explosion created this double-shockwave effect. We were all guessing that it must have been a reflection off the cliff wall. (that's our landfill in the foreground. No! Not my landfill!"):

uxo2009056.jpg

uxo2009057.jpg

Looking at the thermal treatment area ... does the treatment facility meet the standards under 40 CFR 264 Subpart X??

I am thinking .... not. :mf_followthroughfart:

JR

No - but EPA permitted it anyway. They found some way for it to fit in the regulations...

There is a monitoring well network around the site - that was one of my projects back a couple of years ago.

the safety clearance distance for that detonation must have been miles.
I'm guessing those last 2 pics are from as close to the blast as possible...and they seem really far away. But then again, it couldn't be too far away and still be on Saipan...the whole island is only 12 by 6 miles.

I just Google-earthed it, and it is 1.06 miles from the top of Suicide cliff, the safe zone, to the detonation site.

During the last detonation, a big piece of shrapnel (about 10 inches long and 5 lbs or so) landed on the liner of the leachate storage pond you can see at the near end of the landfill facility. That's about a half mile from the blast. Fortunately, if landed on top of the maintenance ramp, where there was an additional wear layer of 60 mil HDPE, so that was the only thing harmed.

Capt. Worley: Yes, there are airplane engines around. There are a few known B-29 crash sites with (big) engines and lots of small, scattered pieces (I am assuming someone removed all the big wing and fuselage pieces long ago). I also found a plexiglass turret with .30 caliber machine guns in it - not sure what bomber type had something like that. I have also found a nose section of a Japanese fighter with an in-line engine and machine gun firing troughs, which I am assuming must be from a Ki-61 "Tony". There are also zeros and big Japanese seaplanes under water in the lagoon, which make nice dive and snorkeling sites. But no intact aircraft above-water, like on other islands... bummer (a number of tanks still around, though)

Some of the tanks remaining on Saipan (there's a bunch, because Saipan was the first (only?) tank battle in the Pacific war. Lots of old Japanese tanks lying around. With big holes in them.

tank.jpg

japanese_burned_tank_lg.jpg

Saipan+071.jpg

Extremely cool pics.

I think you need someone to consult on the adequacy of the monitoring well network + constituents of concerns (COCs) that would be required under a monitoring plan that would be sufficient to achieve clean closure of your thermal treatment unit.

FWIW - I used to serve as the State of Florida Subpart X technical resource and participated in the monthy workgroup spearheaded by EPA. :D

JR

^Are you saying you could be a COC consultant?

Well, I suppose you do have a PE-ness, and that is a big part of what it takes to know about COCs.

^Are you saying you could be a COC consultant?
In a word - yes!

Well, I suppose you do have a PE-ness, and that is a big part of what it takes to know about COCs.
Why, yes it is ... and I since I have TWO licenses, it's like having twice the stamping power! Think of it like having the kung-fu action grip!!!! :ph34r: :ph34r:

JR

^^^ I have a double stamp - meaning .. I place my first impression and come right back in with the second one!! Kinda like the one-two punch!! That's what being a ninjaneer is all about!! :D

JR

Back