--~~ Ask A Female Engineer Anything ~~--

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
what happened chuck? Did she see through your nicey-nice and realize it was all just for sex?

;)

what happened chuck? Did she see through your nicey-nice and realize it was all just for sex?

;)

No, not at all. We're having diagreements about other things right now. One of which is the fact that her parents are out of control with buying our children stuff. It drive me crazy. I lost my temper and said some things I shouldn't have.

The other is that I had her younger brother's bachelor party this weekend. They rented a limo on Saturday night. The limo was going to pick up at 10:00 and drop off at 3:00. I knew they were going to the :Banane20: club the entire time because that's what they did for her older brother's bachelor party and it's basically the same crowd. So over a week ago I told her older brother (who was planning the thing) that I wasn't going to throw in on the limo ($60 a person) because I didin't want to spend 5 hours at the :Banane20: club. So after dinner Saturday night I drove the hour and a half home and went fishing on Sunday. Then her older brother tells me I owe him $60 for the limo. I told my wife I thought that was bullshit and she tells me that I should have told him earlier. So to me, I stayed out of a :Banane20: club, behaved myself, and I'm still in the dog house. Not so much as a mention that behaved myself, just that its my fault for not telling her brothers that I didn't want to go to the :Banane20: club all night earlier. Oh, and I towed my boat up there (my car gets 10 miles per gallon towing the boat) and paid for gas for the boat and took people out in the boat on Saturday and how much money do you think they're discounting me for that?

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Seriously though, that Sux Brew! So essentially needed to give more than a weeks notice evidently? I'm glad i'm advanced enuff in age for it to not be a faux pas if I pull an El Paso on the Bachelor's party scene

Chuck,

I'm totally with you on this one...you're 100% right.

Still...

ultimately it comes down to:

how much would you pay have your wife happy? If it's more than $60, just fork over the cash. If you do, there's a good chance she'll apologize or thank you for indulging her even if....

We all have a bit of a blind spot when it comes to brothers' behavior.

<------has 3 brothers

Sounds like this is a fight you could win, but winning won't be all that great.

Seriously though, that Sux Brew! So essentially needed to give more than a weeks notice evidently? I'm glad i'm advanced enuff in age for it to not be a faux pas if I pull an El Paso on the Bachelor's party scene
Ditto. Although I'm not sure whether it's not a faux pas, or I it is and I just don't give a damn.

I'm finding, as I grow older, that there are a lot of things that used to upset me that just aren't worth getting worked up over.

See, that's the thing. I'm damned if I do, damned if i don't. She's mad because i didn't tell my older BIL two days earlier that I wasn't going in on the limo (like it would have made a difference). I said i'd pay the $60, she's pissed that we're paying it at all but it's her brother that's at fault.

Sounds like this is a fight you could win, but winning won't be all that great.
And being able to recognize those type of situations is what makes, in my opinion, a marriage work. You've got to pick your battles.

Chuck, I might be way off, but from a couple of things you've said I'd guess you're not a huge fan of her family. There is nothing wrong with that, I not a big fan of my inlaws either. But when in-law BS happens, in my opinion it really comes down to one thing. She's either worth putting up with her family for, or she's not. Because you're going to be stuck having to deal with them at times, whether you like it or not. Its going to be a rare occurance for you to win a you vs. her family argument, and its going to be even more rare for that win to be worth it.

Like I said, I may be way off base in regards to the situation, and if so, I apologize for my presumptions. The only reason I'm even chiming in is that I have my own set of bat-shit crazy in-laws to deal with.

I'm in the same boat. I can't decide if that comes from apathy or wisdom.
I notice the same thing, even since my early 20s. I think its both. You experience more big meaning of life shit as time goes on, so it puts smaller things in perspective. That's the apathy part.

You also realize when its a good time to make a stink or not, based on what the outcome will be. That's the wisdom part.

I'm in the same boat. I can't decide if that comes from apathy or wisdom.
Why can't it be both?

Chuck: I'm with you, that's just not right. I personally would be thrilled that you didn't go to the 'gentlemans club' and doubly thrilled that you saved the $60.

But, I wonder if ... your wife is pissed at the brother but she's taking it out on you instead? Maybe she doesn't feel as though she can 'challenge' him or tell him he's wrong, so she is (wrongfully) taking it out on you.

:2cents:

I notice the same thing, even since my early 20s. I think its both. You experience more big meaning of life shit as time goes on, so it puts smaller things in perspective. That's the apathy part.
You also realize when its a good time to make a stink or not, based on what the outcome will be. That's the wisdom part.
:appl:

Well said man!

And being able to recognize those type of situations is what makes, in my opinion, a marriage work. You've got to pick your battles.

Chuck, I might be way off, but from a couple of things you've said I'd guess you're not a huge fan of her family. There is nothing wrong with that, I not a big fan of my inlaws either. But when in-law BS happens, in my opinion it really comes down to one thing. She's either worth putting up with her family for, or she's not. Because you're going to be stuck having to deal with them at times, whether you like it or not. Its going to be a rare occurance for you to win a you vs. her family argument, and its going to be even more rare for that win to be worth it.

Like I said, I may be way off base in regards to the situation, and if so, I apologize for my presumptions. The only reason I'm even chiming in is that I have my own set of bat-shit crazy in-laws to deal with.
This one is huge...because it sounds like the real problem is not the money. It might also be a listening thing...did she ask you to tell her brother you weren't going and you forgot? Or maybe this is like another situation? It's got to be something deeper, I'm guessing. If it's not, I would echo the pick your battles.

Back